VMware Communities
nfxandr
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware Pro workstation 16 works on windows 11?

Hi ! I currently have windows 10 pro and have 6 vm's on my vmware workstation pro 16. If I upgrade my pc to windows 11 will I be able to run the existing vm's? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
commodon
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Speaking from experience I was running VMware Workstation Pro 16 on my Windows 10 Pro laptop (Dell XPS-9500). I have since upgraded to Windows 11 Pro and I am running VMware Workstation Pro 16 and a bunch of the VM's without issue.

0 Kudos
kasper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Do your own DD.    I use Clonzezilla.   Imaged the host.   Upgraded from 10 to 11.   It works.    However for me Windows 11 without a taskbar/toolbar is a real issue.    And there are many other issues with the new Taskbar.    I would also like to remove Windows Defender as it is a resource pig.    But 11 as a host is slightly faster.    I believe that is due in part to  a new disk caching algorithm....

0 Kudos
T00dl3s_2k
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro Works fine on Windows 11 - as long as you don't use anything that need's Hyper-V on the Host System (WSL, Hyper-V etc.). With activated WSL you are unable to start Windows Machines on VMWare.

ender_
Expert
Expert

I use StartAllBack to get the classic taskbar back on Windows 11.

0 Kudos