VMware Communities
TigreDARK
Contributor
Contributor

Vmware 6.5 on Ubuntu Hardy - 1)Virtual machine HD 20GB ocupied in disk space 40GB why? 2)Slow boot on FAT disk?

HI all, I have 2 problems...

1) I install MacOsX and use 20GB of space on disk, 2GB maximum space on single file of disk.... (beacouse in FAT can't use more...) I see today, I have 40GB of space used with 20 files with 2GB space each one...

Why??? I check and I put maximum space 20GB.... every file have the same day data, so created to install it.... How can I reduce it to 20GB? or how can I check what file can I delete???

Every file I talk is with extencion .vmdk (I dont talk with other extencion files)

2) I install MacOsX on virtual machine to test it. I use a FAT disk to put all information of the virtual machine.

I se take a long time to boot, only to appear the "BIOS" of Vmware take 1 minute, and then the performance of the virtual machine are so slow!

If I charge it on a EXT3 partition work fine.....

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

#1. Have you taken a snapshot? If so, your original 20 GB virtual disk is no longer being written to, only the new child disk is. Delete the snapshot file (using the Snapshot Manager) to reclaim the space.

#2. It is a violation of Apple's EULA/licensing to install OSX as a guest OS! Nobody here can answer technical questions on how to do this for you, or VMware could get sued by Apple.

0 Kudos
TigreDARK
Contributor
Contributor

I try now to use Solaris 10 on EXT3 partition, and work very good, don't freeze when I power ON, and the performance are very good.... why on FAT don't work good? is normal this issue?.... is strange for me, I copy the exactly files and power on on EXT3 partition.... no change made to files...

STRANGE? or normal issue?

Thank's

0 Kudos