VMware Communities
DmitryBond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VmWare Workstation 7.1 - unable to do P2V and seems does not support Acronis TrueImage disk images

Hi.

I'm trying to convert my computer to VM using the Conversion Wizard in the WmWare Workstation 7.1.

My hardware is: Intel Core i7-920/6Gb RAM/2x0.5Tb HDD/ATI HD4800. OS=Windows 7x64 Ultimate.

I'm need to convert only 1st partition on 1st disk which has the OS and all required S/W installed. Partition size is 150Gb, allocated space = 72G, before converting it was defragmented and check-disked (chkdsk /f).

The target location is a "new VM", located on a huge USB-HDD (K:\VM\vmWsXxx-WI7\), of course - I have all required access to all disks and locations and of course - there is enough free space on target drive.

The problems:

1) when I'm trying to convert all the timeI'm getting the "Failed to take
snapshot of source volume" error message. In a log file I can see also this message - "
Vsnap does not have

admin rights".

But(!) I'm logged with a user who belongs to a local "Administrators" group. And "VMware Agent Service" service is running from the same user account. So, I assume - it must be enough to make Vsnap having all the permissions it requires! 😕

2) I have tried also another way of P2V - I created a disk image of my partition with a Acronis TrueImage Home 2010 and tried to set that disk image file as a source for VmWare Convertion Wizard. But it reportedthe error - "file maybe corrupt or in unsupported format". Which makes me think that there could some bugs - or in VmWar, or in Acronis TrueImage which makes them supporting incompatible disk images! Smiley Sad

My question is - HOW TO SUCCESSFULLY CONVERT MY COMPUTER TO VM using a VmWare Workstation 7.1 or any other tool?!?!

Sub-question is - why VmWare declare support of Acronis TrueImage disk images but does not do this in a real?!

Or (if it is supports them) maybe there is a wrong error message - "file maybe corrupt or in unsupported format". Perhaps it should report something other.

What I have already tried:

a) Ensured all required services started:

net start

ufad-ws60

net start "tcp/ip netbios helper"

net start swprv

net start vss

b) I did run some shell commands - "vssadmin list writers, "vssadmin list shadows" - both commands working fin, so assume VSS is working correctly.

c) Tried to run that long shell script

cd %systemroot%\system32

net stop vss

net stop swprv

regsvr32 ole32.dll

regsvr32 vss_ps.dll

vssvc /Register

regsvr32 /i swprv.dll

regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll

regsvr32 es.dll

regsvr32 stdprov.dll

regsvr32 vssui.dll

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 msxml3.dll

regsvr32 msxml4.dll

Btw, I have got lot of error messages on this script:

• The module "swprv.dll" was loaded but the call to DIIRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

• The module "eventcls.dll" was loaded but the call to DIIRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070715.

• The module "es.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DIIRegisterServer was not found.

• Make sure that "es.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and then try again.

• The module "vssui.dll" failed to load.

• The module "msxml.dll" failed to load.

• The module "msxml4.dll" failed to load.

For msxml.dll, msxml4.dll and vssui.dll that is not a surprise because these dlls not exists on Win7 x64 in the %SystemRoot%\system32 directory.

I have found msxml4.dll in SysWow64 - registered it. But msxml.dll and vssui.dll are really do not exists on Win7 x64. So, for sure - that script itself is wrong!

What other options do I have to do P2V convertion?!

Are there any more configuration issues I can fix to make P2V conversion working?

Regards,

Dmitry.

PS. Please see 2 log files enclosed - 1st is log of attempt to convert P2V running system directly, 2nd - is log of attempt to convert using Acronis TrueImage Home 2010 disk image.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

using regedit is possible Smiley Wink

You obviously did not read

Select HKLM and then Menu > File > Load Hive.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Neither standalone Converter nor the embedded one can handle Win 7 - 64bit

see my notes for a workaround - works with win7-64 and 2008 R2

http://sanbarrow.com/p2v2008r2.html

You could also use Acronis manually - meaning create image as usual - then create a new VM and restore as usual - as if it were a real machine.

After restore you then must follow the patching explanation from the howto I mentioned

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

DmitryBond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It is sad but ok.

So, I have tried to create a new x64 VM for Win7 and restored Acronis disk image of my PC to it.

Unfortunately it does not work.

I have tried 2 ways:

• start VM with Windows 7 CD and try to repaire windows

• start Windows on VM as is

both ways lead to BSOD. 😕

Sorry, descriptions at your blog are a bit not clear - very hard to understand what problems you are solving and what exactly can I do of that.

Would be nice if you could post some more clear descriptions/explanations.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think you did not do the patching with the Win7 rescue CD yet - you must use a 64bit rescue CD

0 Kudos
DmitryBond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It looks like the procedure you described is not possible nor with Recovery CD nor with original Win7 CD,

because the "regedit" application started from "cmd" has both functions disabled -"Load hive", "Unload hive".

Also I have tried Win2008 disk but it reported that installed windows is not supported. So I was not able to start CMD on Win2008 recovery disk.

So, it looks like this is technically impossible to load registry hive and patch it.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

using regedit is possible Smiley Wink

You obviously did not read

Select HKLM and then Menu > File > Load Hive.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Forums - I have moved the thread to the VMware Workstation Forum -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
DmitryBond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oops... Yes, true. Need to select HKLM to make "Load Hive" menu item enabled.

Ok. I have loaded hive, found LSI_SAS branch there but now I do not understand - what exactly to change?

According to your description - "and set the start type to REG_DWORD 0. But I see 2 REG_DWORD values: Start=3 and Type=1. Which one to change?

Or should I create a new one called StartType=0?

I have tried to google "LSA_SAS registry parameters" but have not found anything helpful on this topic.

Could you please clarify - what exactly to change in the HKLM\p2v\ControlSet001\services\LSI_SAS key?

In my case I have following values there:

DriverPackageId:string=lsi_sas.inf_amd64_neutral_a4d6780f72cbd5b4

ErrorControl:DWORD=1

Group:string=SCSI Miniport

ImagePath:string=\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\lsi_sas.sys

Start:DWORD=3

Tag:DWORD=0x22

Type:DWORD=1

As you can see StartType is not there and it is hard to figure out what exactly to change - Start, Type or both - Start and Type, or create new - StartType?

Btw, I have tried to set Start=0 and Type=0 (got BSOD 7B), only Start=0 (got BSOD 7B), Type=0 (got BSOD 7B)...

Also I see there are a number of similar keys like LSI_xxx - LSI_FC, LSI_SAS, LSI_SAS2, LSI_SCSI. What about other LSI_xxx keys? Should I also change them?

Note: my hardware is Core i7-920, RAM 6Gb, 2 x 0.5Tb SATA2 HDD. The VM HDD (as it was converted by Visioncore vConvertor) is IDE 0:0. Could it be the problem? Shold I change it to SCSI 0:0?

Note: I have to try Visioncore vConvertor because there was no any other way to convert my PC to VM. Seems Visioncore vConvertor is only the convertor that was able to do it. Yes, the result VM is not able to start but it was at least created while all other tools/methods did fail. 😕

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

you onlz change the Start key - leave all others as they are.

If you still get the bsod I guess you have not adjusted the vmx-file so that the VM uses the LSI-SAS controller.

If unsure post the vmx-file

DmitryBond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMX file enclosed.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hehe - you tried to set the IDE controller as a LSI-sas type - that can not work Smiley Wink

try this one instead

.encoding = "windows-1251"
guestOS = "windows7-64"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "7"
memsize = "2040"
numvcpus = "4"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "2"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsisas1068"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "UAWSDBO-WI7.vmdk"
ide1.present = "TRUE"
ide1.virtualDev = ""
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "K:\ISO\Win7ult-GRMCULF(X)RER(O)_EN-RU_DVD.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide1:0.autodetect = "False"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet1.present = "TRUE"
ethernet2.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.present = "TRUE"
extendedConfigFile = "UAWSDBO-WI7.vmxf"
displayName = "K:\VM\uaWsDbo-Wi7\UAWSDBO-WI7\UAWSDBO-WI7.vmx"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet1.addressType = "generated"
ethernet2.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d ee 8a ac 90 3a 81-56 17 d4 fb 11 27 78 b4"
uuid.bios = "56 4d ee 8a ac 90 3a 81-56 17 d4 fb 11 27 78 b4"
cleanShutdown = "FALSE"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
ide0:0.redo = ""
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "16777216"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:27:78:b4"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
ethernet1.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:27:78:be"
ethernet1.generatedAddressOffset = "10"
ethernet2.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:27:78:c8"
ethernet2.generatedAddressOffset = "20"
checkpoint.vmState = "UAWSDBO-WI7.vmss"
tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
DmitryBond
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Waw!!! It is really working! Smiley Happy My Win7x64 successfully started and seems working fine.

It has too small display resolution (800x600) but that is not such a big problem at the moment...

Looks like all P2V convertors did fail. The only working option for me is to use Acronis TrueImage in a following manner:

1) create disk image of physical computer

2) create a new 64-bit VM in VmWare, add scisi HDD of certain size (to fit the disk image created at step 1)

3) configure VM to boot from Acronis True Image ISO file

4) start VM, restore system on VM from disk image created on physical computer (need to find a way - how to make disk image available on VM, I have used a separate virtual SCISI HDD where I copied disk image)

5) shutdown VM, conifgure it to boot from the original Win7x64 CD (or from Win7x64 Rescue CD)

6) choose "Repair" , skip suggestion to repair windows, skip all until you can start CMD, start regedit, select the HKLM branch, click menu -> Load Hive.., select C:\Windows\system32\config\system, then follow the instructionsdescribed at "Patching - easy variant" section on .

In particular need to set "Start"=0 in registry. Then - select HKLM again, click menu -> Unload Hive.Close regedit, restart VM.

7) Long wait until it booting... Then need to turn off features/services and so on to speedup VM botting. And need to find out how to fix low display resolution...

Hm... unfortunately, some required software lost activation on VM. So, have also this headache - how to activate it again... 😕

0 Kudos
Lawrence
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I know this is marked as answered, but for others that come across this, thought I'd chime in

Converter (not sure about vSphere 4.1) is from last year and does not support Acronis v10 images as best as I can tell.

However, if you create the VM manually, then boot the VM into the Acronis Restore disk (or preferable ISO image), then let Acronis do the restore (into the VM), it should work (other than SCSI to IDE conversions). If you have Acronis Universal Restore, it can handle the driver change for boot disk for you.

0 Kudos