VMware Communities
adam1983
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vm Workstation 9 - Help remove network functionality

Hi All,

I have a requirement to restrict network access from Vm workstation.  I had previously posted about the install parameters that according to the tech documentation allowed this, however a helpful forum member (WoodyZ) directed me to a KB that explained that the REMOVE parameters are not working in 9.x and that any options must be manually removed.

I thought this would be simple enough, however am still hitting hurdles.

I have performed the following steps:

1. removed all config from vmnetcfg
  2. uninstalled the vm bridge protocol from the NIC
  3. set the vmware DHCP and NAT services to disabled (should probably remove them)
  4. used our whitelisting program to block the running of vmnetcfg.exe

if i run vmnetcfg.exe from the start menu it is blocked as expected, however when I run VMworkstation and choose 'Edit -> Virtual Network Editor' to my amazement it launched.

I removed the vmnetcfg.exe completely for testing and amazingly this still launched through the GUI.  I had restarted incase it was loaded into memory but it still worked.  further to this if you re-instate a network and select NAT, it automatically starts the disabled VM NAT and DHCP services.

Is there a simple way to remove the networking functionality manually since I can't prevent it installing?

thanks in advance

Adam

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try removing the vmnetui.dll file to stop the Virtual Network Editor from loading via the VMware Workstation GUI.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Try removing the vmnetui.dll file to stop the Virtual Network Editor from loading via the VMware Workstation GUI.

0 Kudos
adam1983
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi WoodyZ,

2 from 2 in a few days, thankyou for your assistance! you are a fountain of knowledge.

For the record the following met my requirements for restricting network access within vmworkstation:

-clear vmnet config

-removing the vm nat and vm dhcp services

-removing the vmnetcfg.exe and vmnetui.dll

-further restrictions on the workstation (app whitelisting, no administrative user access)

regards

Adam

0 Kudos