VMware Communities
rajm
Contributor
Contributor

Visual Studio profiler fails under Workstation 6.5

When I run the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 performance tool (profiler) on some of my code under Workstation 6.5, the tool fails to collect any data. The tool is running in sampling mode, so it is supposed to be triggered by CPU events such as clock cycles or instructions retired. I think what is happening is that it is not receiving any events. I contacted Microsoft, and they were able to reproduce the problem under VMware, but it doesn't happen on a non-VMware machine, so they believe it is an error in the VMware emulation of the PC hardware, not with Visual Studio.

Just wondering if anyone has seen something similar before, or are there any suggestions? Perhaps some way of tweaking the VMware emulation?

Here are the details of my environment.

The machine: Windows XP Professional, SP3. Dell Optiplex 755. The CPU is an Intel Core2 Quad Q9450, 2.66 GHz, 3.25 GB of RAM, Physical Address Extension.

VMware Workstation 6.5.1 build-126130.

The VM: 1 or 2 CPUs (I get the same results for either), 512 MB. Windows XP SP3 also.

Visual Studio 2005 Team Edition, SP1. It fails to collect data on pretty much any code, even a simple test example, if anyone wants to try. The symptom is, it gives an error when loading the collected data file (the *.vsp file).

0 Kudos
0 Replies