VMware Communities
grimreality
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vista on VMWARE 5.5.4 build-44386

I currently have an issue in that the Vista Enterprise 32bit guest will not allow anytype of network connection as it cannot properly configure the NIC using the setting Host only with status Connected ticked and Connect at Power On ticked.

I know that Vista is only set as Experimental in this version but it is the only version that is available at the office.

The host is a Dell XP Pro 5.1.2600 SP2 with 2040MB RAM with an onboard Intel Pro(R) 100VE Network connection.

I did manage at one point to get the host hdd detectable on the guest but after a reboot it is no longer accessible and I get an error stating that there is something wrong with the disk.

If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated as long as it is not upgrading VMWARE.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

OK

we will try to cleanup vista network devices and switch to another nic type:

Remove all the vmware network devices in vista device manager (uninstall)

stop the VM

edit the .vmx file and add this line : ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

start the VM

vista should detect an Intel Pro 1000 network card and the drivers are built in Vista

report back Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

>it cannot properly configure the NIC using the setting Host only with status Connected ticked and Connect at Power On ticked.

what exactly do you mean ?

any exact error message (screenshot welcome)

can you post

ipconfig /All of your host AND guest

vista VM config file (.vmx file)

0 Kudos
grimreality
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have pasted a copy of the icponfig/all return for the host but cannot do so for the guest as it has no network connection so there is no way to save the information and I would have to type in a blank line as that is all it will return.

I have attached the vmx file as requested.

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

did you edited the ipconfig output of the host before posting it ?

there's no network card present apart from the two vmware ones ?

when you say "guest as it has no network connection" , do you mean Vista does not detect any network card ?

did you installed vmware tools on the guest ?

what's displayed in vista device manager ?

0 Kudos
grimreality
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The ipconfig file was editted before posting to take out the information regarding local connection.

The Vista box detects the network connection but states error 10 on startup of the device/device driver.

I have other guest on this host and they all work fine.

The network connection on the host is working fine and other guest can use the internet and access local network resources with the same settings that the host can.

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

OK

we will try to cleanup vista network devices and switch to another nic type:

Remove all the vmware network devices in vista device manager (uninstall)

stop the VM

edit the .vmx file and add this line : ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

start the VM

vista should detect an Intel Pro 1000 network card and the drivers are built in Vista

report back Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
grimreality
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a load for that, works like a charm now, or at least I do have network connectivity which is a whole world above where I was just a couple of hours ago.

0 Kudos