VMware Communities
eclectus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Vista and installing suse 64 bits won't work

Hi,

I'm new with VM and I will try it.

I have a quadcore machine with vista 32btis. I want to install suse11 64 bits but VM ware does't not allow that. It says I have a 32 bits machine. What do I wrong?

Thanks in advance

wim

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From the manual:

Support for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems, running on host machines with the following processors:

• AMD Athlon 64, revision D or later

• AMD Opteron, revision E or later

• AMD Turion 64, revision E or later

• AMD Sempron, 64-bit-capable revision D or later

• Intel EM64T VT-capable processors

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems only on host machines that have one of the supported 64-bit processors. When you power on a virtual machine with a 64-bit guest operating system, Workstation performs an internal check: if the host CPU is not a supported 64-bit processor, you cannot power on the virtual machine.

VMware also provides a standalone utility that you can use without Workstation to perform the same check and determine whether your CPU is supported for Workstation virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems. You can download the 64-bit processor check utility from www.vmware.com/download.

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems only in versions 5.5 and later. If your version of Workstation is 5.0 or earlier, upgrade to version 6.0 or later for 64-bit guest operating system support. A virtual machine created in Workstation version 5.5 with a 64-bit operating system cannot be powered on or resumed in Workstation versions 5.0 and earlier.

In addition you need to enable Intel-VT/AMD-V in the hosts BIOS. Power off the system after configuring the BIOS!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From the manual:

Support for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems, running on host machines with the following processors:

• AMD Athlon 64, revision D or later

• AMD Opteron, revision E or later

• AMD Turion 64, revision E or later

• AMD Sempron, 64-bit-capable revision D or later

• Intel EM64T VT-capable processors

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems only on host machines that have one of the supported 64-bit processors. When you power on a virtual machine with a 64-bit guest operating system, Workstation performs an internal check: if the host CPU is not a supported 64-bit processor, you cannot power on the virtual machine.

VMware also provides a standalone utility that you can use without Workstation to perform the same check and determine whether your CPU is supported for Workstation virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems. You can download the 64-bit processor check utility from www.vmware.com/download.

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64-bit guest operating systems only in versions 5.5 and later. If your version of Workstation is 5.0 or earlier, upgrade to version 6.0 or later for 64-bit guest operating system support. A virtual machine created in Workstation version 5.5 with a 64-bit operating system cannot be powered on or resumed in Workstation versions 5.0 and earlier.

In addition you need to enable Intel-VT/AMD-V in the hosts BIOS. Power off the system after configuring the BIOS!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" answers/replies. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
eclectus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for your response.

I enabled Intel_Vt and it works.

Thanks again.

regards

Wim

0 Kudos
eclectus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

Thanks for your response.

I enabled Intel_Vt and it works.

Thanks again.

regards

Wim

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Smiley Happy

By the way, welcome to the VMware community.

0 Kudos