VMware Communities
BruceHP
Contributor
Contributor

Vista VMDK - How to create a volume?

I've created a vmdk but can't map it until is has a volume. I've searched for how to set up a volume but can't find any instructions as to what I need to do (and how I do it). IE

1. Create VMDK

2. Create volume on VMDK by ???????

3. Other steps as needed ????

4. Mount VMDK.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Use the guest OS to format & partition the VMDK. IOW, boot the VM with the Vista install disk and start the stetup. Or mount the VMDK in another VM and format & partition.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

The disk must be formatted & partitioned to be able to mount the virtual disk.

0 Kudos
BruceHP
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - but how do I format and partition a virtual disk? All I'm trying to do is create a virtual disk for "data" that can be shared by multuiple vitrual machines.

0 Kudos
BruceHP
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - but how do I format and partition a virtual disk? All I'm trying to do is create a virtual disk for "data" that can be shared by multuiple vitrual machines. I don't see why I'd need to boot the VM w the insall disk.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

>Thanks - but how do I format and partition a virtual disk?

Same procedure like in legacy real metal computers.

1. plugin new harddisk to computer

2. boot into partitioning-tool of your choice and partition and format new disk

0 Kudos
mikefoley
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You want to mount this virtual disk on multple systems? You do realize that unless you are using some type of cluster-aware file system, you'll end up with disk corruption, right?

If you want to share the disk, use Windows sharing (if you are running Windows).

To create the disk:

1. Create the disk in VMware. (Add hard drive, etc....)

2. Boot your VM

3. If the VM is Windows, go to disk manager (right-click My Computer..Manage..Disk Management)

4. See the unformatted disk? Right click and format.

5. Assign it a disk letter

mike

0 Kudos