VMware Communities
GeeteshBajaj
Contributor
Contributor

Vista Guest, XP Host with Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 is slower than slow!

The host system is Windows XP on Core Duo with 4 GB RAM -- runs very fast -- it also has Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 installed. I installed VMWare Workstation 7 and added Vista as a guest OS -- it runs super slow! Then I disable Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 on the host OS, and Vista runs very well! How can I get Vista as the guest OS and Kaspersky on the host OS to be happy with each other?

Thank you so much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CaptainLeonidas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the feeling that Kaspersky is scanning the large files assoiciated wih your virtual pc's.

Have you considered adding these files to an exclusion list within Kaspersky?

Intel Smackover x58-chipset

Intel i7 965

6GB DDR3

Radeon HD4870 1GB VRAM (5870 version ordered)

Vista Bus. x64/Windows 7 Ulti x64

VMware Workstation 7.x User VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

don't allow Kaspersky to scan vmdks

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

GeeteshBajaj
Contributor
Contributor

Those suggestions did help -- but don't make Win Vista snappy.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
CaptainLeonidas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Vista can be snappy with the right setup.

I do know that Vista (without any service pack) is slow as a dog, even more so if the hardware is older in nature when the drivers are not up to date (host drivers count too).

And ofcourse Vista can be pruned of unneeded services or disabling Aero.

I suggest you first make sure your host is up-to-date driver wise. Then prun Vista of unnneeded services (aka if you are not printing disabling the printer spooler, if the virtual PC is not part of a domain/workgroup disabling server/workstation services. Superfetch as a service can be helpfull if you boost the RAM with a USB device. However within a virtual pc I kinda find that service not a plus. Indexing within Vista is also a dog on older hardware and other resources. Sure the Index service can be handy but if not needed I would disable it.

This is just a handful of thing you can do. Try that too but make sure to have Vista updated to the latest service pack if you have not done so already. Microsoft did make some performance improvements in teir service packs.

Intel Smackover x58-chipset

Intel i7 965

6GB DDR3

Radeon HD4870 1GB VRAM (5870 version ordered)

Vista Bus. x64/Windows 7 Ulti x64

Message was edited by: CaptainLeonid…

(made some corrections)

VMware Workstation 7.x User VMware ESXi 3.5.x/4.x Admin
0 Kudos