VMware Communities
n8dnx
Contributor
Contributor

Vista Business 64 Bit with Workstation 6.5 + Ubuntu 8.04 Instability Problem

I'm running a Vista Business 64 Bit host with a Ubuntu 8.04 guest. Since upgrading to 6.5 the guest OS has been hanging at times, mostly later in the boot-up process but also sometimes while running. Symptoms are limited or no functionality in the guest and limited or no disk activity reported on the Status bar or on the host related to VMWare. Also, no response from the Guest via SSH or HTTP. Sometimes sending the guest a CTRL-ALT-DEL causes it to try to shutdown and restart, but most of the time it doesn't. When it's hung like this I have to just power the guest down and restart it.

I've noticed that if I don't do anything with the Host while the Ubuntu guest is booting it's more likely to be successful. If I start it then go off to do other work it's likely to fail.

The host is a quad-core with 4 GB. The guest runs two processors and 768 Mb. Running Workstation 6.5.0 buil-118166.

Any thoughts on what to check?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n8dnx
Contributor
Contributor

After dealing with this problem for some time and then doing some more tests, it appears that if I set the VM to use only one processor, or use two processors but with "Disable acceleration for binary translation" checked, it runs pretty well.

Could it be that the instruction replacement when using Binary Translation is not fully stable for my platform? What exactly does "acceleration" mean in this respect?

For reference, my system is a Q6700 2.66 GHz Quad Core running 64-Bit Vista Business with all updates.

0 Kudos
vistabond
Contributor
Contributor

Running Win XP-Pro SP03 32-bit host with Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit guest on VMware 6.5 and encounter same problem.

Thought problem was my Q6600 on with VIA PT-880 Pro Northbridge, a non-standard motherboard, but your description matches my experience.

I probably will try 32-bit Ubuntu guest again ... seemed to solve past problems with Ubuntu 8.04.

In general, I have not been very successful with 64-bit Linux guests on a 32-bit Windows host ... evenually all versions lock up ... in past I had used 64-bit guest (UBuntu 7.04) for Folding @ Home SMP client with 6.0.0.3 VMWare and it seemed somewhat stable at the time ...

0 Kudos
rm100
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue.

Guest: XP pro | Host Windows 7 - 64 bit

Upgraded last week from vista 64 bit ultimate to to windows 7 ultimate 64bit.

Afterwards VM started to hang when launching certain applications.

Only after setting the cpu to use 1 instead of 2 is when it stopped crashing.

Prior to this never had a problem. Not sure if its the host or the VMWARE upgrade I did soon after the host upgrade.

My system is a quad core too.

0 Kudos
dmitrygr
Contributor
Contributor

could you post your vmware.log from the vm directory, or email it to me (dmitryg@vmware.com)?

two logs please, one from a run that works (no accelerateion) and one fomr a run that hangs (yes acceleration)

[

|http://communities.vmware.com/community-document-picker.jspa?communityID=&subject=twologsplease%2Conefromarunthatworks%28noaccelerateion%29andonefomrarunthathangs%28yesacceleration%29]

0 Kudos