VMware Communities
daw451
Contributor
Contributor

Vista Activation After Snapshot Recovery

I am running VmWare workstation 6.5 with Vista Ultimate.

Everytime I recover a snapshot it asks me to activate windows after windows boots up. It has gotten to the point that Microsoft has cut off the activations. I even tried after an activation to create a new snapshot, but when I revert back it still asks me to activate.

Anyone know what is going on?

Aaron

0 Kudos
1 Reply
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

>> I even tried after an activation to create a new snapshot, but when I revert back it still asks me to activate

Are you saying that you activate a Vista VM, immediately take a snapshot and then can't even go back to that snapshot? If so, I would guess that the activation gods are angry at you.

If you mean you can't go back to some other snapshot then a SWAG would be that there is a perceived hardware/driver difference. One of the things that Vista is fussy about is the MAC address of your NIC. If you make a copy of a Vista VM and then boot it, you should tell it you moved it, not copied it (just don't open both copies at the same time). That prevents the MAC from being changed. Although painful, I find it better (with Vista) to make a backup of the VM instead of using snapshots, but I very seldom need to do that.

Lou

0 Kudos