VMware Communities
Raikoug
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform.

Hi,

I have windows 11, version 21H2
And VMware® Workstation 16 Pro version 16.1.0 build-17198959

I enabled Hyper-v for WSL 2 but now I lost the nested virtualization.

I'm pretty sure it should work, this article is about version 15.5, I think the next versions should come with this feature aswell, right?

Is there something more to activate somewhere in the Workstation or in windows?!

windows specifics:

Raikoug_0-1636118173299.png

One strange thing is the "Workstation about" page that states:

Raikoug_1-1636118437261.png

And it's clearly wrong.

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ameft
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Raikoug
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, but that's not my case (I saw that post before).

My VMs don't crush even using 6 cores each and running 3-4 of them concurrently.

My problem is VT-x/EPT with Hyper-v, and this issue is not mentioned in that post.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@Raikoug wrote:

Hi,

I have windows 11, version 21H2
And VMware® Workstation 16 Pro version 16.1.0 build-17198959

I enabled Hyper-v for WSL 2 but now I lost the nested virtualization.

I'm pretty sure it should work, this article is about version 15.5, I think the next versions should come with this feature aswell, right?

Nope, never worked.

Microsoft does not offer nesting via their WHP API when running under Hyper-V.

See also here:
https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VMware-Workstation-15-5-6-does-not-support-...

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Raikoug
Contributor
Contributor

That's not true at all:
https://blogs.vmware.com/workstation/2020/05/vmware-workstation-now-supports-hyper-v-mode.html

I'm using it right now on my Laptop, W10+ Workstation pro, and it's totally working.

Riccardo

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Nothing in your link says that nested VMs work with VMware Workstation under Hyper-V.

If it works for you now with Windows 10, I'm happy for you, I've not seen anyone reporting success for Windows 11, but I might be wrong there too (I certainly hope so).

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos