VMware Communities
jenicide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform.

Hello,
I have:
Workstation Pro 16.2.0 build-18760230
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz
Windows 10 Pro (21H1 19043.1320)
Asus Z390-A
I want to run a Windows 10 Pro (21H1 19043.1320) VM and run Docker inside it.
My RHEL7 & 8 both run Docker with no problems.
It should work, but I get this error: Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform.
Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT?

Can you help?

Thanks

Labels (7)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jenicide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, So my host OS (Windows 10 Pro [21H1 19043.1320]) was the problem. I followed the instruction in KB2146361. But the key is: completely disable Hyper-V on the host. So I disabled Hyper-V on my host OS.

Then I launched my Workstation Pro 16.2.0 (build-18760230) and started my Windows 10 Pro (21H1 19043.1320) VM, I disabled Hyper-V; I installed Docker; and it worked.

I've only ever had Workstation Pro 16. Now my RHEL7 & 8, and Windows all run Docker and Kubernetes with no problems.

What is VBS?

View solution in original post

16 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you're on a Windows host, you have to completely disable Hyper-V on the host (because currently nested virtualisation is not supported when using Hyper-V support). Follow the Steps to Disable Hyper-V in KB2146361 to resolve the problem.

jenicide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You know what... It worked!!!!!! Thanks

0 Kudos
awconrad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I don't understand this response. According to the article provided I should only need to install a version greater than Workstation 15.5.6 if my host is Windows 10 20H1 build 19041.264 or newer, which it is. Are you saying that Workstation Pro has regressed and no longer supports VBS? Can you provide an article we can track?

0 Kudos
jenicide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, So my host OS (Windows 10 Pro [21H1 19043.1320]) was the problem. I followed the instruction in KB2146361. But the key is: completely disable Hyper-V on the host. So I disabled Hyper-V on my host OS.

Then I launched my Workstation Pro 16.2.0 (build-18760230) and started my Windows 10 Pro (21H1 19043.1320) VM, I disabled Hyper-V; I installed Docker; and it worked.

I've only ever had Workstation Pro 16. Now my RHEL7 & 8, and Windows all run Docker and Kubernetes with no problems.

What is VBS?

jenicide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtualization-based security (VBS), technically... yes.

aka VBS, allows Windows 11 to create a secure memory enclave that's isolated from unsafe code. Another built-in feature called Hypervisor-Enforced Code Integrity (HVCI) uses the capabilities of VBS to prevent unsigned or questionable drivers and software from getting into memory.

0 Kudos
jenicide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

technically... yes.

0 Kudos
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

VMWare Workstation works fine with VBS (and other Hyper-V features) enabled on the host, however the Hyper-V API does not currently allow nested virtualisation (Hyper-V itself only got nested virtualisation support for AMD processors in Server 2022 and Windows 11).

0 Kudos
jiranda
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This might be due to a Windows virtual machine configuration that you mistakenly set or a software you installed changes it. Don’t waste your time into install a new virtual machine or reconfigure your VMWare machine because the last time you still started it successfully and it may cause the problem go further and other problems may arise.

Last time, we face this issue after installing the Docker Desktop software which is also a virtualization software

Try solution below:

https://mayviti.com/vmware-virtualized-intel-vt-xept-is-not-supported-pc-fixed/

0 Kudos
cgarciag22
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, I need help with this, I tried all the steps according to KB2146361 but it didn´t work for me, I tried all solutions on internet but it didn´t work Aswell, I have an HP 640 G8, regards

0 Kudos
karthikeya136
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried all of that and nothing worked. Does anyone know the reason or any other solutions ?

JH_Siemens
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is still on-going issue. BIG issue. New HP Laptops. Meets everything outlined in previous answers / solutions. It just doesn't want to function, as it has in past. We have basically tried everything suggested previously without resolutions.  

0 Kudos
KienVanNguyen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello,
I want to run EVE-NG virtual machine in VMware Workstation and run Linux-ubuntu-server virtual machine inside EVE-NG, but I get this error: Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT is not supported on this platform.
Continue without virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT?
Can you help?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jenicide
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Try it. See what shows up in the logs and post the output.

0 Kudos
deltapubg2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Go to windows defender , and try to turn off memory integrity and reboot.

Check if it works now !

it works for me!

natemcbride
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This worked for me as well, thanks for the tip!

0 Kudos
cnerio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!
Just went to Windows settings and disable all windows virtual machines options.

Now it's working well.

Regards

CN 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos