VMware Communities
devongarver
Contributor
Contributor

Virtualization Failed: Unable to connect to network share

The virtualization of "192.168.1.50" failed: Unable to connect to the network share '192.168.1.100\Windows 7'.

I just purchased and installed workstation pro and am trying to use it to virtualize a physical machine. The machine is a dell laptop running windows 7 pro. I set up a local ethernet connection between it and my newer laptop running windows 10 pro. I am using this guide to complete the process, but I get as far as it starting the process of virtualization and then after a few minutes it gives me the error above.

I have a separate 2TB SSD installed that I am selecting as the location to store the virtual machine files. It is completely empty. I actually tried this initially on my C: drive and got this error, so I bought a second SSD thinking it needed more space, and I wanted it anyway as I need to virtualize other machines as well.

I have never used this software before, but I feel as though I was following the proper steps. I have searched for this error and not come up with much of anything. I contacted tech support and they said I needed to purchase support for them to help. That is not an option for me right now.

Can anyone offer any insight for this problem?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Version of Workstation?

Version of the Converter software?

Which system do you have the Converter software installed on?

Are you running the software as administrator?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
devongarver
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation Pro 16.1.2 build - 17966106

Converter 6.2.0 build - 8466193

All software is installed on dell precision 7550 with windows 10, running as user with administrator rights, on network controlled PC/Domain.

I am not an IT guy...so I am doing my best here. But I can tell you that some things on my laptop are controlled via network administrators. But I have privileges to the location i am trying to store the virtual machine, and I have added sharing to that location for everyone.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Are the administrator passwords the same on both systems?

Have you tried running Converter on the Windows 7 machine?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
devongarver
Contributor
Contributor

No they are not the same passwords. In fact, the windows 7 machine is not on our plant network anymore, nor is it connected to the internet. We use it for machine plc programming only, and some of the programs won't work on windows 10, hence the reason for wanting to run it as a virtual machine on my windows 10 pc.

I have not tried to run the converter on the windows 7 unit, because I didn't realize that I could even do that. Is the software package that I downloaded for my windows 10 pc compatible with windows 7 as well? I suppose I could copy the install files over and install it there. Will there be any issue activating it without it being connected to the internet?

0 Kudos
devongarver
Contributor
Contributor

So I tried installing the software on the windows 7 PC but it said it was not compatible. After looking, it appears I need a much older version, but I couldn't find anywhere to download it. Is there anything else you can think of that I could look at doing to make this work?

0 Kudos
devongarver
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone else have any ideas about this? I tried the software on the windows 7 PC, but it says it's not compatible and that it needs 8.1 or newer. I have tried everything I can think of regarding permissions or policies, and have not gotten any different results. I'm at the point where I'm coming to realize I just spend $215 for nothing. I wonder if I can uninstall the software and get a refund?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you sure the machines are on the same subnet? What are the results of ipconfig /all (from command prompt) on both machines?

If OK, you may need to specify domain or workgroup name in the user id, like domain\username. To eliminate the converter, try mapping a drive from the W7 machine to your W10 machine. From a command prompt, try 

net use * \\<ip address of W7 machine>\c$ 

and see if you can connect.

Lou

devongarver
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, sorry it took so long for me to reply. Yes, subnet is good, I can ping each PC from the other, and I just mapped the C drive via command prompt based on your recommendation without issue.

My gut is telling me it is something to do with permissions for the destination, but i do not have access to another destination with enough storage capacity to try.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is the share name really Windows 7 (with a space)?

I would create a directory just for the VM. Preferably on a drive other than C, if available. Go into permissions on that directory, disable inheritance from parent, and enable full control for everyone, then go to advanced sharing, name the share something simple, and give permission of full control to everyone. After successful conversion (or unsuccessful), change permissions to only you.

0 Kudos
devongarver
Contributor
Contributor

Yes it has (had) the space, I just removed it for the heck of it. I have a separate directory on my E: drive, a folder called virtual machines. Ijsut went through the process again, selecting that folder as the destination, after applying the permissions changes as you asked. The results are the same, unable to connect to network share. Now, the part that I don't understand, is when i open the converter standalone by itself, it has a log of recent tasks, and it shows the task of converting the physical machine failing at 1%. It also shows the destination as "\\192.168.1.100\Windows7\Windows7". But that doesn't make sense, because the folder I selected from VMware is the "virtual machines" folder...? What am i missing here?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Well, I can't duplicate what you are doing, I don't have a Windows system to test with. I did do a conversion of a virtual Windows 10 machine (which makes no sense, but to test) and that worked OK and booted. I think the use of the standalone converter can be "adventuresome". 

Sorry I can't offer anything else. 

0 Kudos