VMware Communities
adamc1
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual machine not using allocated hard disk, only RAM

Hi there

I'm new to using VM Workstation Pro and Linux. I am running a virtual machine with Linux Mint, and have allocated 8gb to memory and 40 gb to Hard Disk.

I'm trying to install software, however I get a 'Low Disk Space' error by Linux Mint when I approach 8gb of use. It seems to be using only the memory as storage and not using the 40gb hard disk space allocated.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Reply
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If that is the case, this won't be anything to do with Workstation Pro, it is the guest OS (Mint) which decides what to write and where. I've never used Mint, but can't imagine that is uses memory instead of disk space in the way that you describe.

Any issues at the host level with disk space would be unknown to Mint. Your 40Gb virtual disk is a set of files that grow in size, if there are issues with host disk space such that the files can't grow it would be the host OS complaining, not Mint.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos