VMware Communities
sengkaew
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual disk for a single VM on multiple directories

I'm tuning my virtualize environment and have to put VMDK for a single VM into many directories on many disks to get better performance but I found that when I create a new snapshot then the snapshot VMDK(s) will be created  under the VM Working directory only.

Even I try mount the partion as sub-directies of the VM working directory but a new snapshot VMDK still will be created under the working directory not the sub-directies.

Any suggetion to make this possible?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
som94
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi sengkaew,

Welcoem to the communiyt.

please follw below steps to put vmdk file under subdirectory

first create respective sub folder under folder than time of installation or reconfiguration please point to that folder .

Dont forget to tick the box called single file .

"Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code"
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
you can store the snapshots along with their parent vmdks in different directories if:

1. you use Workstation 8
2. you add the line
snapshot.redoNotWithParent = "false"
to the vmx-file.

In my experience this ONLY works if you add that line to the vmx BEFORE you create the first snapshot.

So it may not work if you add the line to a VM that already has snapshots

sengkaew
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks som94, I  quite don't understand your instruction, I need to use split 2G file(s) avoid space issues when delete snapshot(s), defragment VMDK as my VMs are usually grow upto a hundred GB.

I've  tried to use sub-directory as I already told it doesn't work for me as well.

0 Kudos
sengkaew
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks continuum, your suggestion seems useful, I deleted all snapshot and tried the parameter:

snapshot.redoNotWithParent = "false"

But it isn't working for me then I did research base on the parameter you suggested an found another parmeter:

workingDir = "/path-to-where-I-want-to-keep-the-snapshot-vmdk"

This is working but it isn't what I want as it redirect all another snapshop disk to the same place as well, it make me quite upset right now.

Thanks you again anyway, VMware team should implement this as option for each disk, it would be appriciate.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned by continuum the default snapshot location has been modified with VMware Workstation 8 (as well as Player 4.0 and ESXi 5.0) Earlier versions used the base folder as the default snapshot location, which - as you found out - can only be redirected to a single other directory.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

before I posted that line I checked it here myself - here it works

please post more details so that I can check what may be wrong

0 Kudos
sengkaew
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry to forgot to clarify, I'm using WS7.1.5 and seems no plan to upgrade to WS8 soon. Thanks you all for your help.

Regards,

Sutee Sengkaew

+66 8 7075 7503

0 Kudos