VMware Communities
JimFoye
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual device ethernet0 will start disconnected

I'm running latest build of 6.5. I recently upgraded from XP to Vista Business. Now my VM can't connect to the network. When it starts, I see the message "virtual device ethernet0 will start disconnected". I've tried deleting and recreating the adapter, adding adapters with other settings, nothing works.

This machine is a laptop and is docked, I wonder if the NIC in it is considered shared? VM tells me constantly about these shared devices. If so, how can I get to be used by one VM, let alone multiple?

I'm realy distressed that there seems to be nothing about this reported by anyone else, that I can find.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JimFoye
Contributor
Contributor

I just created a new VM and installed Windows Server 2003. Same problem, plus it told me it couldn't connect to floppy0.

Does VM Workstation work on Vista?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes - Workstation does work on Vista - not as good as on XP or 2003 but thats a different story ...

We need to know much more about your setup to get any clues ....

Firewall ?

Post ipconfig /all

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
QuietWolf
Contributor
Contributor

Jim;

I have also had this issue in the past few weeks.

I recently finished my last semester and decided to completely reimage my system back to is factory set and update all software and patches to ghost for effect.

My host system is Vista Ultimate 64 and is never used to hit the outside world, except for AV & MS updates.

Guest systems range in flavor, but they are all clones of master VM's and replaced every semester and then updated.

The issue of 'Virtual device..." not starting at bootup is NOT consistent, but I have noticed that when I boot a single VM to completion it's fine, but when I get impatient and boot several at a time, at least one VM has the stated problem.

I reported this to VMWare and they are looking at the issue as of 3 days ago.

Thanks;

Tom

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Folks - you must provide more details - in Vista there are millions of reasons why a Nic may not come up in time ...

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Usually when I see that message I fix it by clicking on the Network icon in the bottom right of the VMware Workstation GUI and selecting "connect".

0 Kudos
JimFoye
Contributor
Contributor

I have the firewall in Vista (the host) disabled. I am able to connect to a share on the host from another machine on the network (running XP).

I assume you want inconfig /all for the host? I'm happy to post that, but (pardon my ignorance) is there any security issue with posting IP, MAC address, etc. on a public forum?

Thanks

Jim

0 Kudos
JimFoye
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I've not been able to solve this problem, so I installed MS Virtual PC 2007, and created a new VM in that. It has no network problems. So, I guess I'll just use their product from now on.

0 Kudos
dmphotography
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Jim,

I did the same thing recently, I upgraded from Home Premium to Vista Ultimate and started getting the same problem.

I figured out what the issue is. If you go to Network and Sharing Center, then to Manage network connections (on the left),

the two VMware Network Adapters are gone. Mine were VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 and VMware Network Adapter VMnet8 .

I don't know any technical way of restoring these, but the way I did it was simply re-installing VMware workstation.

When I launched VMware Workstation, my Virtual Machines were still there and now work fine with the internet. All is well again.

Try that and see if that works, as it's an easy and simple fix.

Hope that helps.

P.S. Good luck with the Microsoft Virtual Machine. I checked that out a little while back and it's no where near as nice as VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
JimFoye
Contributor
Contributor

Hey thanks very much for the reply. I think it's strange this isn't a pretty well known issue and I didn't get help on it sooner! Ok, well, I've got Virtual PC running now, but it's nice to know I should be able to reinstall VMWare and use it if I want.

Jim

0 Kudos