VMware Communities
B-Rye
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Printers Stopped Showing Up

My virtual printers all of a sudden stopped appearing and working.   I am running VMware Workstation 16 Pro, version 16.0.0.

The host is running Windows 10 Pro and the VM is running Windows 7 Pro.  I have tried reinstalling Virtual Printer and VMware Tools version 11.1.5.  Virtual printers are enabled as well. 

Is there anything else I should check to see what the problem could be?  The main concern is a USB printer that is connected to the host.  I can go under Removable Devices and connect the USB printer to the VM and it will work, but then I have to change it back to the host to print from there.  It used to pass through to the VM as a virtual printer, but not any more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
B-Rye
Contributor
Contributor

UPDATE:  For lack of anything else to try, I now have updated to version 16.2.2 of VMware Workstation 16 Pro.  I uninstalled Virtual Printer and VMware Tools.  I confirmed that Virtual printers were enabled under Edit>Preferences>Devices. I also confirmed that Printers was present under VM>Settings>Hardware and that is was set to connect at power on.

I reinstalled VMware Tools which is now version 11.3.5.

I then reinstalled Virtual Printer. 

When I restart, the host printers still do not show up on the guest printer list like they did before.  With the guest powered up, the Connected box is checked under VM>Settings>Hardware>Printer>Device Status.

I don't know what to try from here or what else to check.

0 Kudos