VMware Communities
EveryUsernameA1
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual Printers Not Showing in Guest OS

Hi,

I am running VMWare Workstation 15.5 on a Win 10 host.  I have a Win 7 guest which cannot see the printers on the host.

The guest has Virtual Printers enabled:

pastedImage_0.png

It is running v11 of the VMWare Tools:

pastedImage_1.png

I have run Install Virtual Printer more times than I care to remember...

The printer as it appears on the host:

pastedImage_2.png

It is plugged in, powered on, not offline and ready to go.

The printers available on the guest:

pastedImage_4.png

There is no sign of the IP2800 printer anywhere...

Does anyone have any idea how I can get virtual printers working on this VM?

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

In document Configuring Virtual Printers the Note says: "If any virtual printers are powered on when the Enable virtual printers option is selected, you must reboot the virtual machines, or suspend and resume them, for the setting to take effect."

Therefore just adding the printer using the instructions in Add a Virtual Printer to a Virtual Machine  is not enough - you must also reboot the guest.

0 Kudos
EveryUsernameA1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mits2020​ thanks for your reply.

Everytime I install the virtual printer it asks to reboot which I do.  In total I must have rebooted over 20 times but the virtual printers still do not show in the guest.

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

To be honest, I have never tried the virtual printer feature, because I treat the printer as a removable USB device. I start installing the printer driver in the guest, and when the driver asks me to connect the printer, I disconnect it from host and connect it to the guest. You can try this as a workaround until some more experienced member comes to the rescue.

0 Kudos