VMware Communities
alex70
Contributor
Contributor

Virtual PCI slot

I read an article about Virtual PCI slot. And I got curious to know if there any VM software that can Virtua PCI slotsrecognizing the PCI board installed on the host machine.

I installed to test VM Workstation but I cannot add any other deviced except listed.

Another application for VM is to keep using the old PCI board that have not drivers updates from manufacturing.

Any answer will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

Sorry, no; it doesn't work that way. The virtual PCI slots in the VM can only "see" the hardware that the vmware .vmx config file puts into the virtual motherboard -- in other words, only standardized virtualized devices: like HD, CD, SCSI controller(s), NIC, etc.

There is no way currently to expose a "real" PCI device to a virtual motherboard in the manner you are thinking of. If you had gobs of money and could afford to contract Vmware to develop a custom one-off solution for you, it might happen... But you would likely have to write your own driver.

Smiley Wink

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA