VMware Communities
GnVm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Virtual Machines connected with bridged network connections can be considered as a Virtual LAN. Is it correct?

Hi,

If I am right, in case of Bridged Network Connection in VMware Workstation, a virtual machine is connected directly to the router virtually. If more than one virtual machine is connected with bridged network connection, can we say all virtual machines and host computer are in a LAN virtually?

Regards

GnVm

3 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there GnVm,

You can think of them "sharing" the physical adapter from the host OS so for all intents and purposes, they are on your physical network. Just like if you have a bunch of physical machines connected to a HUB which connected to your router.

They will get IP addresses from your router (if it has DHCP) and each has a unique MAC address. They are contactable (subject to guest OS firewalls and the like) by any machine of the physical network including the host machine.

Does that help?

GnVm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your effort. I understood it but it seems that I am still little bit confused or you can say that concept is still not very clear.

I would like to compare virtual machines connected with bridged network connection and some desktop computers connected with a DHCP router.

In case of desktop computers connected with a DHCP router, computers get a IP address from the DHCP router.

As I said in my post, if I am right, if VMs are connected with bridged network connection in VMware Workstation, VMs do not share IP from Host OS, virtually all are connected with the DHCP router. Am I right at this compression?

Regards

GnVm

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi GnVm​,

VMs are connected with bridged network connection in VMware Workstation, VMs do not share IP from Host OS, virtually all are connected with the DHCP router.

Correct. They are like any other machine/device you have connected to your network.

Kind regards.