VMware Communities
ChrisTidio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Virtual Machine fails in Workstation

I have probably invested more that 40 hrs so far trying to get this working, but I am failing miserably and I can't figure out what I am doing wrong 😞  I have repeated the steps below multiple times, without success.

1. I converted my Lenovo Laptop, running Windows 10 Enterprise to a Virtual machine using VMware vCenter Converter Standalone Client.  Slow, but it generated the .vmdk file without any error messages ~ 335 GB)

2. I copied the .VMX and .VMDK files to my DELL laptop, running Windows 10.

3. I started VMWare Workstation 8 on my Dell laptop, pointed to the Virtual machine file(s) and when I try to power on the VM I get a blue screen and the error message,

"Your PC run into problem and it needs to restart.  I will restart it for you"

then followed by another blue screen,

Recovery

Your PC couldn't start properly

A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed

Error Code: 0x0000225

You'll need to use recovery tools

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

First off, what is the host OS on your Dell laptop.  Workstation 8.x is ancient, and might not be supported at all on the OS - and might not recognize the virtual hardware which was created when you imaged the Lenovo laptop.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

First off, what is the host OS on your Dell laptop.  Workstation 8.x is ancient, and might not be supported at all on the OS - and might not recognize the virtual hardware which was created when you imaged the Lenovo laptop.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That bluescreen is very popular on youtube - see How to Fix Error Code 0xc0000225 Windows 10 - Fixed Easily - YouTube

0 Kudos
ChrisTidio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If you do a P2V of a laptop then you have to uninstall the Synaptic software _before_ running the p2v process.

The synaptic drivers do interfere with the vmware keyboard drivers.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ChrisTidio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

>>  If you do a P2V of a laptop then you have to uninstall the Synaptic software _before_ running the p2v process.

>>  The synaptic drivers do interfere with the vmware keyboard drivers.

Thank you, It's all working as intended now.  Appreciate all of you taking the time to respond.

0 Kudos