VMware Communities
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

Video player problem in VMware 8

Simplified words here:

I'm using VMware Workstation 8.0.2 now and with Windows 7 x64 guest in it with the 3D accelerating, The VMtools 8.8 also installed in. Here is the issue:

If i played a video file with the windows media player for half an hour(without intterrupted and switched to another video), the video would freezed and switched rapidly betweens a frame and its next one but kept playing sound correctly. when that happened, if i resize the player's window, instead of adjusting the size of the video, the video surface would disappear totally, just the black colour filled with the player's window. but the buttons on the player just kept normally drawed and function also. if i drag the player's progress bar to anywhere, the video surface would come back again. it could be the issue of the vmtools' video driver because it became free of such problem AFTER i replaced the video driver with the OLD ONE FOR VMware7.1.4 SVGA.

There is something wrong in the new video drivers that process directdraw incorrectly.

The main system is the Windows7 x64 on the intel P55 i7-860, 8GBytes RAM, Geforce GTX470 forceware 295.73.

The client system is the Windows7 x64 too with 2GBytes RAM, 1 processor unit with 2 core allocated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, there are some issues on the SVGA driver. You might want to lok into this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/328669

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, i saw that thread also,  but it seems different to mine. i can't believe how those bugs exist for half a year in different version 8's. it's boring.

At least both WindowsMediaPlayer and MediaCenter have this problem. It happened at a player which HAS SOMETHING SEMITRANSPARENTLY COVERED ON THE VIDEO SURFACE.

I found that the video will stuck after sustained about 7 minutes with Windows Media Player(Don't try another player software).

Edited: i just extract the driver files in vmtools 7 (DriverVer   = 04/21/2010,7.14.01.0042), then i uninstalled the vga driver in the windows7 guest(replaced by Standard VGA Drivers). then updated the driver to that one. the media player is played normally now. So it's definitly the problems of the SVGA 3d driver of the 8.02

0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep. The driver even broke the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Smiley Happy

Regards, Harold
0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

Can't wait them to fix the bugs in their video driver. How could those bugs exist almost half a year...:smileyconfused:

More, i just hope that the thumbnail bar may become vertical. after all we now use the wide-screen monitors far more than(i'm i right?)  4x3 aspect ratio ones...

0 Kudos
unituniverse
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone of the vmware WS developer-team be any interested in fixing this problem? The version 8.0.4 still have this problem.

0 Kudos