VMware Communities
KurtDillard
Contributor
Contributor

Very slow suspend and shutdown times with Workstation 8

I upgraded to Workstation 8 a few days ago and ever since have been suffering extrenly long suspends and shutdowns. Its not constant, but it happens a lot, perhaps 50% of the time. By slow, I mean anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to suspend or shutdown a VM. i have about 30 VMs running various flavors of Windows from 32-bit XP SP3 to 64-bit Windows Server 2008 R2 SP2 and have seen this with nearly all of them. My host is a 64-bit Window 7 Ultimate with 16 gigs of RAM, its a monster of a laptop from Sager. I store the VMs on an external USB 3.0 drive, its a Seagate FreeAgent Go Flex 1.5 TB with over a gig of free space. I often have 3 or 4 VMs running at the same time, usually performance is fine except when I go to shutdown or suspend the VMs. The host OS shows overall CPU usage of less than 10%. Any tips on how to get performance back to what it was under Workstation 7?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Regnor90
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here. Regardless of the type of VM and Storage(SSD, RAM, USB3 HDD) it takes endless time till a VM shuts down; even if I manually power off my VMs it takes up to 15 minutes till Workstation shuts them off.

And it's not just that; everything else takes too much time although my system has got enough power. There isn't any CPU load and my storage runs in idle and however Workstation is often freezing or running like it's dying Smiley Wink

Btw. it's the same on my laptop so it shouldn't be a hardware related problem.

vijaygos
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. I have a Windows 7 host with 12 gb of RAM. I just have 5 guest OS on my machine. All my VM files are on an external hardrvive. It take more than an hour for me to suspend or shutdown any of my VMs. It is extremely annoying.

I have another laptop with 6 gb of RAM and this one has workstation 6.5. I do not have the problem on this one. I am seriously considering downgrading on the other laptop.

Is there a workaround for this problem? I'll be more than happy to give out specific details if someone needs them.

Thanks,

Vijay

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

please also post here
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/390347?tstart=30
and attach a vmware.log that was created after one of those slow suspends

0 Kudos