jehchoi1
Contributor
Contributor

Very Slow Data Transfer Rate

System Setup:

+ Running VMWare Workstation 10

+ Host is Windows 7 and Guest is Windows XP Pro with the latest updates

+ Have USB 3.0 HUB connected to Host's built in USB 3.0 port

Here is the problem I'm facing: It's takes about 15 time longer to offload the data off a USB 2.0 flash drive from the Guest?

+ Takes about 33 seconds to offload 584MB from Host (Windows 7)

+ Takes about 6 minutes to offload the same 584MB from Guest (Windows XP)

+ I also tried to offload the same data without using the USB 3.0 Hub since my USB Flash drive is 2.0 but it still took about 6 minutes to offload from Guest.

Does anyone know why it takes so much longer in Guest compared to Host? Anyway to speed up the data transfer rate?

James

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Mats_Webjörn
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar issue with Workstation 10 running Win7.

If we let the device enumerate directly to the host running Win7 (no VM involved) and run our test app which sends and recieves data over two bulk pipes, then host sends data to the device with 200us intervals, and polls the device at corresponding intervals.

But if we instead let the device enumerate in the VM then we can see that buffers from app in VM are queued down to host USBD on almost exactly 1.5ms intervals. There are no attempts by the host inbetween these intervals to send an out-token to the bulk-ep.

Correspondingly the host sends an in-token to the device bulk-ep only every 1.5ms thus causing a serious degradation of performance.

So, it seems like Workstation has some scheduling mechanism running on 1.5ms intervals which takes buffers queued down to the device, and forwards them down to host USBD.

Are there any configuration parameters which control this behaviour?

0 Kudos
DaleRoss
Contributor
Contributor

Did you or anyone else find a solution to this issue? we are experiencing a similar problem communicating with a USB connected device - Industrial Automation Controller PLC -

My environment is Windows 7 64-bit Host with a Windows 7 64-Bit Guest running VMware® Workstation 10.0.4 build-2249910

The device is USB 1.1 and I've tried USB capability setting for the USB Controller configure for the Virtual Machine for USB 1.1, USB 2.0 and USB 3.0. Same results all settings.

I have search KB but coming up with nothing and came here. This was the first post(s) I hit that seems to be dead on with my problem.

0 Kudos
DaleRoss
Contributor
Contributor

Just to see... I installed VMware 11 and... it fixes this problem! Now what?

0 Kudos
Mats_Webjörn
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting! I will try that

0 Kudos
DaleRoss
Contributor
Contributor

this problem does not exist in version 9 either. This is a bug in 10.

VMware can you fix this?

0 Kudos
DaleRoss
Contributor
Contributor

This problem is not in Version 9, we've tested it and it is not in Version 11. How can we get VMWare to fix this in Version 10? I cannot step back to Version 9 and recently updated to Version 10 and hate to shell out another $200 to get 11 just to fix a bug.

0 Kudos