CedrickEnoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 401.0 got 398.0

Hello, I have a problem with workstation. There is three error message :
1- Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 401.0 got 398.0 
2- Failed to initialize monitor device 
3- Unable to change virtual machine power state: Transport (VMDB) error-14: Pipe connection has been broken

I wait for the suggestion 

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You have modules from an older version of VMware loaded and tried to run a newer version of Workstation. Version 401 is from Workstation 16.1.0, 398 from Workstation 16.0.0. You need to rebuild the modules after Workstation upgrade and make sure the new modules are loaded (/etc/init.d/vmware restart).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
CedrickEnoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi I fix the problem with the upgrade.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You have modules from an older version of VMware loaded and tried to run a newer version of Workstation. Version 401 is from Workstation 16.1.0, 398 from Workstation 16.0.0. You need to rebuild the modules after Workstation upgrade and make sure the new modules are loaded (/etc/init.d/vmware restart).

0 Kudos
CedrickEnoh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi I fix the problem with the upgrade.

0 Kudos
anantkaul
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello CedrickEnoh,

I had the same error when I recently updated my VMware Workstation to the newest version 16.2 on my EndeavourOS (Arch Linux). I solved the error without trying to reinstall it. If anyone else is also facing the same issue, I'd recommend to try out the below command & this would definitely solve up the error.

"sudo modprobe vmmon"

Do let me know if anyone still face the issue.

Thanks & Regards

Anant Kaul 

0 Kudos
Machster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Your solution did not solve this issue.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling VMWare but this did not fix the vmmon mismatch on Manjaro. I'm looking for someone to post how to do update the file.

0 Kudos