VMware Communities
SlimC
Contributor
Contributor

Version 6 install issue on Windows Vista after wrongly installing 5.5....?

After incorrectly trying to install version 5.5... and reviewing some other articles found and much weeping and gnashing of teeth.. I am trying to install version 6 Beta now and it still keeps telling me I have uninstalled a VMware product without rebooting your machine. This installation cannot continue..etc... rebooted many times and just can't find the appropriate entry.. Help?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Run the installer with the /c switch to clean up the failed install/uninstall. If that doesn't work, read knowledgebase article 1308.

0 Kudos
SlimC
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I have checked out the article earlier and still have not been able to get it to execute......... I believe I have covered the appropriate steps. the only one I could not find was the reference to the VMware Bridge Adapter..

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Did you run the WS 5 installer with the /c option?

Example:

VMware-workstation-5.5.3-34685.exe /c

0 Kudos
SlimC
Contributor
Contributor

Yes... I've been back and forth in the registry cleaning anything out as well.. even other registry cleaners looking for vmware keys.. trying to avoid a total rebuild..

0 Kudos
SlimC
Contributor
Contributor

I followed the instructions in the 1308 KB doc. After that I ended up deleting the previous installs in my Temp Dir for the install package and that allowed me to proceed. You can start the .exe install with a /l command line switch to see additional logging into a text file that was helpful also. thanks

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, cleaning up the Temp directory is usually a good idea if you're having installation issues... not just with VMware products.

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the update Smiley Happy

0 Kudos