VMware Communities
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

Version 2 Beta obsolete?

I know this is not the right place for this but I couldn't seem to post to the area I thought it should go. I turned off my VM Host several weeks ago and now that I need to use it again, none of my VMs work. I have VMWare Version 2.0.0 Beta. I get an error "Power On Virtual Machine" failed to complete. A general system error occurred: Unknown error. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

Are you saying you can't post in this VMWare Server 2 beta forum ? Or the V[MWare Fusion 2 beta forum|c-2348] ? Please indicate which VMWare product you're using. (Workstation, Server, Fusion, Player, etc.)

As for your question, are all of the VMWare VMWare services running?

0 Kudos
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct, I cannot post to VMWare Server 2 beta forum. I believe that is the one this post should go in. I just now re-registered for the beta program but that hasn't helped me get in.

All VMware services that are marked as Automatic are started - VMware Authorization Service, VMware DHCP Service, VMware Host Agent, VMware NAT Service, VMware Virtual Infrastructure Web Access. As for the version I am using, when I choose Application > About I get:

VMware Server

Version e.x.p

Build 84186

Is this telling me it has expired?

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, that build expired.

VMware Server 2.0 Beta 2 expired on July 15th, 2008.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/156289?tstart=0

Available now, VMware Server 2.0 RC1 expires on October 30, 2008.

_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

Well, that was probably my problem but now when I try to install the new version, it uninstalled the old version and gave me an error:

The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.

I am the system administrator and I have not set any policies. Any idea where to go from here? In the event viewer I see:

Failed auto update retrieval of third-party root list sequence number from... This network connection does not exist.

also:

The installation of C:Documents and Settings...\VMwareServer.msi is not permitted due to an error in software restriction policy processing. The object cannot be trusted.

I do not have a connection to internet on my VM Host machine. Is this now a requirement for VMware???

0 Kudos
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

I was running as Administrator. I tried doing a RunAs with the same results. This thread really needs to be moved. I don't know why I can't post to the Server Beta 2 forum...

0 Kudos
_jfd_
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos