VMware Communities
tcv91732
Contributor
Contributor

VPN and joining a domain without internet connection?

I have two virtual machine and two routers running on gns3. One virtual machine (windows server 2008: (IP:192.168.1.2/24)) is connected to a router (A). Router (A) is connected to router (B). Router (B) is connected to another virtual machine (windows 7: (IP:192.168.2.2/24). Each of these virtual machine is on a different subnet. My setup is Windows Server 2008 can ping all the way across to Windows 7 and vice versa. The problem I'm having is that I can not join the domain of the Windows Server 2008 and can not VPN to it. I turn off the firewall on all machine. My routers does not have any firewall configuration on it. How can I set up so that I can VPN and join the server domain? Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From your  windows server 2008 run the command dcpromo and configure a net domain.
Restart your windows server 2008 and try to join the the domain. Its may be help...
Also make sure that you have configure the router correctly. You can also run tracert you destination IP so that is there any problem?

Cheers, Yours Udin

0 Kudos
tcv91732
Contributor
Contributor

For my server 2008, I can only join the domain if i'm on its same subnet. I can use my router to ping each of the machine and it's successful. When I tracert both ends, it show me the hops from beginning to end (successful).

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

For my server 2008, I can only join the domain if i'm on its same subnet.

That means you did not configure routing correctly. Configure routing (EIGRP/OSPF/RIP) with different subnet and ping each other. Then try to connect to the domain

Computers are useless. They can only give you answers 
0 Kudos
tcv91732
Contributor
Contributor

I configured the router running OSPF and I am able to ping each other, but I can't join the domain. I did the network command on the router to make it pingable, but do I need to create an ip route for it?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

PMJI:

If you are trying to emulate a connection across the Internet, you should get the VPN working first. Are you forwarding that port to the VM's in the routers?

How is the WAN side of your routers configured?

Joining the domain:

Can you ping the DC by name (from the W7 VM)?

What error do you get when you try to join the VM to the domain? If it is telling you that it cannot locate the Domain Controller, you have a DNS problem.

Edit the network settings in the machine you want to join to the domain and:

Turn off IPV6

Put the DC's IP address as the first DNS server. This assumes that you installed and properly configured  the DNS server role in the DC.

I do this across a "real VPN" all the time and have done it through cheap Linksys routers as well. It works.

Lou

0 Kudos