VMware Communities
ianMacey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VNC Connection

I am running Workstation 11.1.3 (3206955) and have several VMs.  I have enabled the VNC Connections via Settings | Options but every time I try to VNC to any of the VMs using TightVNC Viewer I get the following message display by VNC Viewer:

Error in TightVNC Viewer: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Any assistance most welcome.

Thanks and regards, Ian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ianMacey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem resolved.  Realised I was trying to connect to the wrong ip addr.  Should have connecting to the host ip addr and not the ip addr of the VM.

Many thanks Wil for your assistance.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You typically get that reply when a firewall on the host is blocking the VNC server.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ianMacey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, although this isn't the case.  Neither the client or the host are running any firewall, and they are both on the same subnet of an internal LAN.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With the currently supplied info I can only guess then that you are connecting to the wrong port.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
ianMacey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

On the VMWare Workstation I have the port set to 5901 and on the VNC client I specify the remote host as 192.168.0.77::5901

What further info is required?

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

While it might be a typo:

192.168.0.77::5901

isn't a valid port assignment in a URL notation.

192.168.0.77:5901

would be the way to write it.

re. more info. We don't even know what type of OS you are using as host OS for VMware Workstation, not what type of OS you are using to connect either.

The vmware.log from your VM might help to see if there's a problem as well.

In a case like this I normally just use telnet and connect directly to the guest OS to see if the port is accessible from the outside.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
ianMacey
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem resolved.  Realised I was trying to connect to the wrong ip addr.  Should have connecting to the host ip addr and not the ip addr of the VM.

Many thanks Wil for your assistance.

wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That does indeed make all the difference.

Glad to hear you found out what was wrong.

--

Wil

0 Kudos