VMware Communities
checker01
Contributor
Contributor

VMwarenet is not Compiling on Linux Kernel 4.7

Dear VMware when does you give your Costumers a Release that compiles with  Latest Linux Kernel 4.7???

Waiting for Weeks now to get this running without using unsignet patches from the web.

Its Time now so Hurry Up.!!!

3 Replies
lprent
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah I have the same problem.

I just brought a AMD RX480 for my linux box to run on the amdgpu driver on Ubuntu 16.04. Shifted to Linux 4.7 to take advantage of the extra support for the RX480. That worked out ok.  Until I fired up workstation pro to do some work on bloody windoze 10.

I could look to look at git to see what in the vmnet is a problem and publishing a hack. But seriously, does vmware want me to do that to their products?

checker01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Iprent,

You are absolutly right when saying "But seriously, does vmware want me to do that to their products?"

Im on Ubuntu 16.04.1 x64 and using VMware 12.1.1 but the vmnet and vmmon modules dosent compile when installing kernel 4.7 or 4.6.6.

I try a Workaround from the net and set some parameeters in the drivers vor the packages "get pages Remote"

this helps to compile the modules to the kernel but i think VMware should do a official Release that Fixes the Problems ...

Greetz Checker

0 Kudos
lprent
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried this. It worked.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1646947#p1646947

Note that you need to apply the patches for the 4.6 kernel first (ummm - can't seem to the coherent page on the net - you will need to look it up).

0 Kudos