VMware Communities
DaveO20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMwareVer8_serialPort problem

XPsp3 guest with Win7_64bit host. Cannot connect vm port to physical com1 port on host. Can launch Win XP mode and it connects from that vm to com1 on host with no issues. It is setup in VM ver8 to connect to direct physical port com1.

I can use hyper terminal in guest to connect to com1 and its starts timing. But it is not routed to the host com1 port. It acts as a virtual port on the guest.

Am trying out the VM ware ver 8 before buying. Had the same problem with VM player also. Never got it to work.

I like the response of VM ware, player much better than XP mode.

Any ideas?

Frustrated

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

serial ports often badly interact with Thiprint - so if you want reliable results first of all disable Thinprint

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

serial ports often badly interact with Thiprint - so if you want reliable results first of all disable Thinprint

0 Kudos
DaveO20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Had to look up what thinprint was. It makes sense. Removed printer and any other serial port. Put back connect to host com1. Error message reads "unable to initalize com port" using hyper term error reads "another program is using the selected telephony device". Cannot locate any other programs that are using that come port. Also how do I get my printing back. I put the printer back on vm and it now doesn't print. One problem at a time.

0 Kudos
DaveO20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Update on serial port. Rebooted vm after removing all serial but one for com1. Its now working. Now I need to get back com2 on host (usb external serial), com3 on host (which is a modem) and printers.

0 Kudos
DaveO20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Another serial port update.

On vm with usb plugged in for com2 the serial communications is very spotty in the test. Not strong as in pyisical com1. Any ideas? There do not appear to be any settings to capture better.

0 Kudos
DaveO20
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

He is where it is at. Com1 is operating. My usb to com2 is not working. My printer was put back on and is using virtual com2. Usb did not work even without printer reinstalled. So I guess original question was solved. But it created more problems. Will post new questions.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

0 Kudos