VMware Communities
VirtualLinx
Contributor
Contributor

VMware workstation PRO 17.x - Network adapter setting (Bridged vs NAT)?

I am using VMware workstation PRO 17.x

1. For virtual machines the network adapter is set to bridged mode. But even if I disable both the below virtual n/w adapters in the host OS, I am still able to get internet connectivity withing the vm's! 

VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet1

VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet8

May I know why?

2. For security and privacy concerns, which is the best Network connection mode for VM's - Is it bridged or NAT?

Thanks...

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Bridge mode, vmnet0, means your VM gets its IP address from your DHCP server, usually the router. It then has "outside" access if the firewall in the router allows. If you don't want your VM's to have Internet access, use Host Only, vmnet1.

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This should help: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/17/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-D9B0A52D-38A2-45D7...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
VirtualLinx
Contributor
Contributor

2. For security and privacy concerns, which is the best Network connection mode for VM's - Is it bridged or NAT?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Security means different things to different people at different times, there is no one correct answer.

Bridged mode = your VM is directly connected to your network - and can be seen by other computers easier.  NAT mode = your VM is behind a NAT router - in order to be seen, you must map ports to it.