VMware Communities
anabas201110141
Contributor
Contributor

VMware workstation 8 - Greedy log file eats up all space

After I start my workstation 8 and actually do nothing (no VM runinng), the log file eats up all space on my hard drive.

I had to spend just 1/2 hour trying to figure out how come space on my hard drive has vanished. It created a log file of 40GB in just one hour when it was not doing anything.

This log file has repeated entries for

2011-10-02T12:42:17.118-04:00| vthread-4| W110: POLL Failed to read from the signal socket 1384, return -1, error 10035/A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately

I had to uninstall this buggy product and revert back to VMware workstation 7.1.4. It shows how poorly it was tested.

I learnt that we should wait for atleast 6 months before switching to the new euphoria.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

What was the exact OS of the host computer that you installed Workstation 8 on?

0 Kudos
anabas201110141
Contributor
Contributor

Host OS: Windows 7 SP1, 64bit.

I also noticed other problems before I switched back to my 7.1.4

The VMware tools does not work particularly for communication and hgfs. When I start the vmware tool service, the communication and hgfs shows as failed. I did a fresh install of SLES-11 SP1 and installed tool and both hgfs and communication did not work.

I am at peace now since I am at 7.1.4 again and will try version 8 after 6 months. Sending a note to all to not to move to Version 8 until further notice.

Thanks

0 Kudos
vmuse2011
Contributor
Contributor

The same situation on my Windows7 32bit but with VmWare Player 4.0.

The message is:

2011-10-07T00:48:04.699+02:00| vthread-4| W110: POLL Failed to read from the signal socket 1392, return -1, error 10035/Unknown error 10035 (0x2733)

If I start VmWare Player and just doing "nothing" it is using one of my CPU core (100%) saving Gigabytes of logging data on my disc.

0 Kudos
JJoel42
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I believe we have found a fix for this.  I will post the change that you need to make to the config file as soon as I get it!

Jason

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

try
ui.log.throttleThreshold = "2000000"
ui.log.throttleBytesPerSecond = "1000" 
in config.ini

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

continuum's suggestion will stop the overzealous logging.  I am not sure it will completely fix the underlying problem.  The issue here is interaction with 3rd party software that has a buggy winsock Layered Service Provider (LSP).  So far, the culprit seems to be older versions of software that comes with 3G usb data cards.  Sprint calls this "Sprint SmartView", and AT&T's equivalent is "AT&T Communications manager".  This problem does not seem to occur with the latest version of those 3rd party suites (per our current testing).  I would recommend upgrading to the latest version.  Failing that, try removing the offending LSP DLL with LSP-Fix utility.  I don't believe this will interfere with the functioning of the 3G data card.  See the following Microsoft KB article for instructions on removing the offending LSP (bmnet.dll):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910435

0 Kudos
vmuse2011
Contributor
Contributor

VmWare Player 4.0.1 solved my problem.

0 Kudos