VMware Communities
fbergmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware workstation 6 - Resuming Problems - Remote Desktop

After a recent upgrade to VMware Workstation 6, I noticed a problem I never faced with 5 before. I used to have my virtual machines suspended, so that a quick resume would bring them up and running in the state i wanted them in. Workstation 5 did not seem to count overly much, whether i resumed a machine while logged on to the host directly, or via remote desktop. Now however I get this error message, when trying to resume a machine via Remote Desktop, that i suspended before directly:

The frame buffer layout of the current display cannot be made to match the frame buffer layout stored in the snapshot. The dimensions of the frame buffer in the snapshot are: Max width 2560, Max height 1770, Max size 18124800. The dimensions of the frame buffer on the current display are: Max width 2360, Max height 1770, Max size 16777216.

Error encountered while trying to restore the state of group SVGA from file ...

given that i let all my machines run at 1280x1024, I find this rather annoying ... any chance i can revive the old behavior again? Thank you so much for your time ...

Cheers

Frank

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, try going to VM > Settings > Display and disabling autodetect.

Also see this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=94165

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

where you actually remoted in at the time of snapshot? Check also the vmx file for video settings, you can override the video settings there for the virtual hardware, as well as in the rdp connection.

0 Kudos
fbergmann
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

\- no ... i have been sitting in front of the computer when suspending the machine

\- and tried to resume from the remote connection ... which worked fine in 5

i'll have a look at the vmx file ... the only thing that seems to relate to graphics is:

svga.autodetect = "TRUE"

so i could try setting it to false ....

0 Kudos
kstang92
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've had the exact same problem. Since upgrading to 6 I get this error if I pause the state of a vm while at the console, then come in remotely (using remote desktop or LogMeIn).

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, try going to VM > Settings > Display and disabling autodetect.

Also see this thread:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=94165

0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

--Another workaround -- especially if you remote-in more than direct-access -- is to manually set the guest resolution to something completely bone-stock standard, like 800x600 (memory saver) or 1024x768.

--Then when you RD in, you can always increase the resolution with the RD client. (at least w/ the Linux version; I don't use the xp version much.)

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA