VMware Communities
Zigmig
Contributor
Contributor

VMware workstation 6. Cannot open virtual machine. Type mismatch

I have copied VMware windows server 2012 files from USB to local D drive. Files in the folder are

of various files extensions but .vmdk make up the bulk of the files.

When I open VMware Workstation 6, I browse to the .vmx file but get an error message.

“Could not open virtual machine.  Type mismatch”

I’m new to VMware so no idea where to look.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ron

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Just to be clear, are you really using VMware Workstation 6, or is it VMware Player 6?

With VMware Workstation 6, the copied VM may contain features which were not available in this version!? Which product/version was used to create the VM?

André

0 Kudos
Zigmig
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply

Yes its definately VMware Workstation 6. Im not sure which product/version was used to create the VM. I inherited the product, and Virtual machine. Not sure if this helps.

Ron

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Wow - WS 6 with a Win 2012 VM ?
I thought that at least WS 6.5 is necessary for that guest.

Please attach the vmx-file to your next reply

0 Kudos
Zigmig
Contributor
Contributor

I am new to VMware so not aware of limitations.  I have attached the vmx file as requested

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

This VM has been used with a newer version last time.

It is in suspended mode.
If you delete "Windows Server 2012 with SCCM 2012-a1ae4f08.vmss" or rename that file you will make progress.
If the VM is startable then, you do not use WS 6.
If the VM complains about unknown virtual hardware ask the creator of the VM to downgrade virtual hardware while still using the newer version - and test function of the VM.

I dont think that this VM will run in WS 6 without running into a bluescreen.

0 Kudos
Zigmig
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

I deleted the file as requested and it made no difference. Looks like I'll have to take the 2nd advice option

Ron

0 Kudos