VMware Communities
Gaetan123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware workstation 16 Pro - No keyboard on a converted vm

Hello. 

I have VMware workstation 16 Pro and I have converted my Lenovo laptop into a VM using converter but I'm unable to use the keyboard to log into the guest OS.

The new host is also a Lenovo but lower model. I cannot use the onscreen keyboard, the mouse works, a USB keyboard doesn't work and the option to install VMtools is greyed out. Any suggestions ?

Thks
Gaetan

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you see the "Ease of access" button the login screen? It should be the one next to the power button.

You can click on it and show the on-screen keyboard that way. I attached a screenshot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I believe the common suggestion in cases like this is to remove the custom keyboard drivers on the source system before you convert it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

@scott28tt wrote:

I believe the common suggestion in cases like this is to remove the custom keyboard drivers on the source system before you convert it.

Close.. it is almost always the Synaptic software (& their drivers) that are installed at the original system that prevent the VMware keyboard from working in the P2V-ed VM.
Synaptic is software for the touchpad.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Gaetan123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So unless I P2V the laptop again, you're saying there's no way I can use the keyboard ?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

If your mouse is functioning then you can use the onscreen keyboard to uninstall Synaptic.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Gaetan123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The mouse is working but I don't have the onscreen keyboard at the login prompt. 

I can start onscreen keyboard from the host but it doesn't input anything in the guest. Now I haven't tried to start the onscreen keyboard before starting the VM

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Do you see the "Ease of access" button the login screen? It should be the one next to the power button.

You can click on it and show the on-screen keyboard that way. I attached a screenshot.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

It should be available at the login screen (would be poor character of MS to keep their accessibility features away from the login).

It's the icon that looks like a clock, but is not.
It's also in BlueFirestorm's screenshot.

--
Wil

Gaetan123
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Indeed. Got it sorted removing SynTP from the registry.

Thanks all

0 Kudos