VMware Communities
xmick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VMware workstation 14 Pro loses Mouse Focus

Has any one found / have a solution for - Mouse repeatable loses focus after a short time. Focus restored by moving mouse to top of screen over Vmware menu bar.

No problem on VMW 12.

94 Replies
mparrott
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vanRijn​ My behavior and results are exactly what xmick​ stated.

0 Kudos
altae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In my case it's also simple. I start a VM in VMWare Workstation 14 Pro (any VM will do) and I can click exactly one time before the VM refuses to recognize any more mouse clicks. The only thing that fixes it temporarily is to ungrab the mouse (either by clicking somewhere outside the VM window or by pressing ctrl + alt). But only for one more click before the issue starts over again.

0 Kudos
xmick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Its caused by 3rd party mouse or trackpad related software not playimg nicely with vmware.

identified so far wizmouse and touchpadblocker.

If you try uninstalling suspect applications you should find out what causes you the problem. And if you can do without it you will be able to use vmware.

0 Kudos
TIP4VM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Similar problem here.

In a windows 7 Ultimate 64bit guest,

• with a Windows Server 2008 R2 host,
  • running in VMware Workstation 14.1.1,
  • with dual monitors,

the mouse once in while is not reacting in the guest, it has "jumped back into the host" - without me doing anything.

I can make it move back to the guest, but it is annoying nevertheless.

Latest VMware tools 10.2.0 are installed.

Mouse Software Evoluent Mouse Manager 5.61 is installed on host.

0 Kudos
xmick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try removing your additional mouse software and report back with the result.

0 Kudos
xmick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The problem would seem to be caused by SOME third party MOUSE related software.

If you want to solve the problem before some fix is forthcoming from VMWARE try uninstalling such software to see if it solves the issue.

So far identified are WIZMOUSE and TOUCHPADBLOCKER

If you have either of these try uninstalling them and if that doesn't work look for other installed mouse related software and try uninstalling that software.

Notes:

1/ For those using WIZMOUSE try  STROKESPLUS instead this has the WIZMOUSE feature and also many gestures and for me works with VM WS 14.x

2/ I have Logitech and Asus mouse guesture software which does NOT cause the problem

0 Kudos
AppleBag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I've uninstalled Wizmouse and still have the problem. I've never had Touchpad-whatever installed at all.

I would unmark that as "the correct answer" (if possible), so others don't just assume the 'solution' was found.

0 Kudos
xmick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So far it would seem to be confirmed by members of this thread and Vmware (see this thread) that WIZMOUSE causes the reported problems.

Maybe you have other software on your host which interacts with the mouse stream and causes your symptoms.

0 Kudos
AppleBag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perhaps, but how would I track down which software? I've already uninstalled Wizmouse long ago, I've exited Logitech Gaming Software, and AFAIK I have no other software that interacts with the mouse?

Is there a utility that logs which software "grabs" the mouse, that I could run in the background to monitor and report?

Also, why didn't wizmouse affect previous versions of VMW?

0 Kudos
xmick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

All I can suggest is you try uninstalling the logitech software just to see if it cures the problem.

I have found the older Logitech mouse software to be troublesome on windoes 10 - NOT related to this issue though.

As to why the problem is only on  WS14 and not 12 only Vmware can tell us.

Sorry I can’t help further.

0 Kudos
AppleBag
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks. Uninstalling LGS just isn't an option. It adds way too many customizations that I use all the time. i.e. custom button functions on my keyboard, custom button functions to my mouse, etc.

I still think it's a VMW issue, seeing as it's only happening on later versions, regardless of the aforementioned software being installed.

0 Kudos
xmick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One thought. If you have no other mouse related software then maybe Wizmouse remnants are still on your system.

Use revouninstaller pro (free trial will do) to reinstall (it monitors the install) Wixmouse. Then use it to uninstall Wizmouse allowing it to  search and remove all traces of Wizmouse in advance search mode.

0 Kudos
charlielewis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Having the same issue. In my case I believe my "third party software" is my Lenovo trackpad software (mind you, I'm using a Lenovo machine; so don't know how much this can be blamed on "third party").

Wasting too much time ungrabbing / re-grabbing the input. Please kindly fix this VMware

0 Kudos
charlielewis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has anyone heard back from VMware on this, or has anyone created a support ticket? I don't mind doing it, just making sure we don't duplicate efforts

0 Kudos
charlielewis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, let's start making them know that this is a productivity killer. Promote this tweet: Carlos Luis on Twitter: "@VMware Please solve the mouse bug on your leading Desktop offering (Workst...

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes, we have received support ticket on this. And we are currently actively working on this. Thanks for your patience!

0 Kudos
altae
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Calling it a productivity killer is a huge understatement. It hinders me from using Workstation 14 at all!

0 Kudos
charlielewis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

bonnie201110141,

Any update on the matter? this problem makes a $300 software piece unusable and is costing a lot in productivity to everyone

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Can you refer to this thread?

Re: Mouse click not working Workstation Pro 14.1.1 build - 7528167

to see if any workaround works for you?

0 Kudos
charlielewis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello bonnie201110141

It does hold some promise, (at the end of the thread) where it points to screen capture software.

Still, the answer can't be that *all* screen capture software needs to change (several products are flagged there), so it still seems like a problem was introduced in VMware Workstation 14.

You mentioned that the team is working on getting a fix?

0 Kudos