VMware Communities
pka4916
Contributor
Contributor

VMware tools with Ubuntu 22,04 copy and paste not working properly

I installed Ubuntu  22.04  and  I can only copy  small png files  with copy and paste.

I can't do any files  that are more then 20-50 Mb,  then the window just closes,

Drag and drop does not work either.

I  spent hours on this, and can't figure it out.

This is what I all did

- Checkboxes unchecked and checked and rebooted

- uninstall open vm ware tools and re-installed and rebooted

- tried uninstall open vm ware tools, and installed the  standard vmware tools,  but that fails to install.  since it cannot find certain items,  like net3 and some other things ?

any other suggestions?   

here are also 2 screens that shows the errors

Also I am using the latest version of VMworkstation Pro.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
aaronic128
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Bro!

Please try this:

sudo apt install open-vm-tools-desktop beside sudo apt install open-vm-tools.

It shoud have solved the problem for you.

pka4916
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that as well, and no difference

root@pk-virtual-machine:/home/pk# sudo apt install open-vm-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
open-vm-tools is already the newest version (2:11.3.5-1ubuntu4).
open-vm-tools set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

root@pk-virtual-machine:/home/pk# sudo apt install open-vm-tools-desktop
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
open-vm-tools-desktop is already the newest version (2:11.3.5-1ubuntu4).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

0 Kudos
sweetfool
Contributor
Contributor

hi bro,you are very good!I'm happy to tell you the truth that I have made it with your tips.Thanks!

0 Kudos
Homoerectus
Contributor
Contributor

Any luck? I have the same issue

0 Kudos
lucvdv-aleacsys
Contributor
Contributor

This problem seems to be old, I had it at least in Ubuntu 22.04, 20.04, in VMWare 17, previously 16, and maybe 15 too (always the same VM, I've been using it forever over different upgrades).

I got 2 distinct situations plus an observation.

1. Sometimes I got a "no drop" mouse pointer. That's clear enough, no drag and drop.
  2. Sometimes I got a regular drag pointer, but the files didn't appear after being dropped.
  3. Sometimes, but not always, just restarting the drag from the start a few times changes it from 1 to 2.

Today I discovered that in case 2, the files *are* copied to the VM, just not moved to the right location.
All files I ever dropped-and-failed were in ~/.cache/vmware/drag_and_drop/xxxxxx/ in the VM -- it went back to 2019.

xxxxxx is a temp name, a random string of 6 letters and digits. Just sort the drag_and_drop directory by Modified time in Files to find the most recent one.
".cache" is hidden, don't forget to turn on 'show hidden files'.

It might also be a good idea to clear the directory out from time to time, especially if you have been trying again and again to drop some large files in there, as I had 🙂

-- EDIT --
Sorry for mixing this into a "copy and paste" thread, I thought I was replying in another thread I read 15 minutes earlier. 😞

0 Kudos
lucvdv-aleacsys
Contributor
Contributor

Tried unchecking/rechecking the options too etc., and also this that I found somewhere else.

gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.preferences use-experimental-views false

It didn't help.

0 Kudos
mswilk67
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the EXACT same problem. Found the drag and dropped file in the cache folder, etc. Tried the same solutions. Not sure what's up there. Is this a VMWare issue or an Ubuntu issue? Wondering if VirtualBox or Parallels would resolve this issue.

0 Kudos