VMware Communities
forumi0721hotma
Contributor
Contributor

VMware tools install problem with Linux Kernel 2.6.39

Hi.

I read previous discussion. But I have diffrent vmware tools...

That told source have vmmon and vmnet, but I can't find.

I have only pvscsi.tar, vmblock.tar, vmci.tar, vmhgfs.tar, vmmemctl.tar, vmsync.tar, vmwgfx.tar, vmxnet.tar, vmxnet3.tar, vsock.tar in vmware-tools-distrib/modules/source/.

If i have diffent version of vmware tools, Where can I find suiable version?

Known patches does not apply by virtual machine.

(ex http://weltall.heliohost.org/wordpress/2011/05/14/running-vmware-workstation-player-on-linux-2-6-39-...)

this is my hw and sw...

VMware Version : 7.1.4

VMware Tools Version : VMwareTools-8.4.6-385536.tar.gz

Host PC : Intel Q9400

Host OS : Windows Server 2008 R2

Guest OS : Debian Sid/Unstable both tested, ubuntu 11.04 tested.

please help me....

Using 2.6.x kernel build system.
make: Entering directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only'
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.39-1-686-pae/build/include/.. SUBDIRS=$PWD SRCROOT=$PWD/. \
MODULEBUILDDIR= modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.39-1-686-pae'
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/backdoor.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/backdoorGcc32.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/bdhandler.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/cpName.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/cpNameLinux.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/cpNameLite.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/dentry.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/dir.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/file.o
  CC [M]  /tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.o
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c:48:28: error: linux/smp_lock.h: 그런 파일이나 디렉터리가 없습니다
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c:72: error: ‘SPIN_LOCK_UNLOCKED’ undeclared here (not in a function)
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c:137: error: unknown field ‘get_sb’ specified in initializer
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c:137: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer type
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c: In function ‘HgfsGetSb’:
/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c:493: error: implicit declaration of function ‘get_sb_nodev’
make[4]: *** [/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.o] 오류 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only] 오류 2
make[2]: *** [sub-make] 오류 2
make[1]: *** [all] 오류 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.39-1-686-pae'
make: *** [vmhgfs.ko] 오류 2
make: Leaving directory `/tmp/vmware-root/modules/vmhgfs-only'
0 Kudos
3 Replies
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I confirm the problem, but unfortunately the other thread to which you refer is a discussion for Linux as the HOST. I like you have a Windows-based host (Win 7 in my case) and the fix does not apply. To be very honest, knowing that 2.6.39.1 has already been released and Linux kernel 3.0 is only weeks away I was waiting for some stability before even trying to change to that kernel. I suggest you revert to 2.6.38 set it as your preferred boot option and reinstall vmware tools (your attempted update has borked your old version).

2.6.39 (amongst other things) totally removed the Big Kernel Lock and vmware tools dependencies are now broken. Hopefully VMWare recognise the issue and will fix it, but to be honest I don't expect that to happen before 3.0 is released.

I should have added that pretty much the whole vmware tools install is messed up by the changes, it isn't just hgfs, but vmci etc that also fail. The full error list is too lengthy and I don't blame you for not including it!

0 Kudos
djpalindrome
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good news, perhaps. There is someone actually working on a solution to this problem; alas it is for Ubuntu, not specifically for Debian.

The Debian maintainers are as somnolent as ever, but I hear they are closely following the Ubuntu (Oneiric) bug report. Perhaps both Debian and VMware are hoping someone else will fix their problems for them, so they won't have to.

There is a Virtual Test PPA for Oneiric with a set of binaries built on the 05.27.2011 branch of the Open VM Tools project on SourceForge.

DKMS now actually builds VMware kernel modules on everything up to, and including, the latest 3.0.0 release candidates.

You may recall Debian yanked the DKMS package from their repositories because, in the 'stable' code base, 8.4.2-261024, it's still broken.

While it is possible to ignore dire warnings from purists, and to install the Oneiric packages in Debian (they work, and they do not break the connection to the host system), I can neither encourage nor discourage you from doing this. I'm just telling you I would much rather do this than fool around with somebody else's patch I dug up off the web, and I have no regrets whatsoever. If you were really interested in rock-solid stability, you would be using a long-term-supported kernel in the first place, not something from Testing, Unstable, or Experimental, wouldn't you?

I had to tweak the initialization script to auto-mount hgfs shares, and to prepare the environment to support copy-and-paste operations from host to guest [guest to host doesn't require fixing, because only the guest is broken].

I've learned the hard way, and will reconsider using proprietary software when other alternatives exist. VirtualBox lacks maturity, as well as some features, but DKMS has never, ever so much as hiccupped.

PS - You would have to hold back the OpenVM packages in the Debian repositories; otherwise Apt will think that the old, broken packages are preferable to any you manually installed with dpkg.

0 Kudos
andree666
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have created patch for this issue. It works properly on fedora 15. Hope it helps.

Apply it on files from vmhgfs.tar archive.

0 Kudos