VMware Communities
hnolasco
Contributor
Contributor

VMware slowdown in game

Hello, I use Linux Mint (Debian) and was trying to play Starcraft 1 in VMware Workstation 7.1.4. (Windows XP guest)

When I open Starcraft 1 the opening cinematic plays perfectly. When it gets to the menu every action as well as the mouse has a 3 second delay, the mouse cursor also has blank lines through it.

What can I do to get Starcraft 1 to run smoothly in VMware Workstation 7.1.4? I've installed VMware tools, added these lines to my .vmx file [http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_vidsound_d3d_enabling_vm.html], and installed DirectX in that order. I've also tried reducing hardware acceleration and disabling write combining to no avail. I also have the ATI graphics drivers installed on my host system.

What can I do?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
alelievre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you set the option: "Fit all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM". This option prevents memory swapping and gives best performances.

0 Kudos
hnolasco
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, "Fit all virtual machine memory into reserved host RAM" has been set under preferences -> memory. It has the same slowdown.

Thank you

0 Kudos
alelievre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Maybe your hardware is not powerfull enough. The cinematic is just a video, it doesn't use CPU, RAM and DISK (or just a bit).

0 Kudos
hnolasco
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

My hardware should be fast enough to run the game. The game was from 95 and is a 2d sprite based game. My computer has a pentium i7 with a newer video card that supports 3d acceleration.

It might be that vmware isn't reading my video card, but I don't know how to fix it.

Thank you

0 Kudos