VMware Communities
polarbear77
Contributor
Contributor

VMware sever address?

where can I get the VMware sever software ? I check the web many times ,but fail to find it...Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

VMware Server has been removed from the VMware downloads, but some of computer magazines still offer it for download. Try searching e.g. download vmware server site:computerbild.de.

André

0 Kudos
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

Please find URL but not sure its work . 

http://filehippo.com/download_vmware_server

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi polarbear77,

Please note that the VMware Server product is no longer supported and contains unresolved security issues.

Not sure why you are asking about VMware Server, but just in case you might not know, almost all of the VMware Server specific functionality has been merged into VMware Workstation.

VMware workstation is supported and up to date.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
polarbear77
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
polarbear77
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
polarbear77
Contributor
Contributor

I am ready to learn Linux and my computer  is equipped with Windows system,so I need VMware server to build a virtual workstation.However thank you for you help

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you're planing to work with current Linux Distros then they will probably not work properly in VMware Server! Smiley Wink  Is there any reason you can't you use VMware Player instead?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Let me add to what WoodyZ says that nowadays VMware Player allows you to create virtual machines as well, not just "play" as the name suggests.

If you are looking for a free VMware solution for the need you are stating above then your only -VMware- option is VMware Player (or install VMware Workstation which after the evaluation period still has a fully functional VMware Player) You get the additional benefit of learning the differences between Workstation and Player.

VMware Server is not a proper solution anymore, it will not give you easy access to any recent linux virtual machine, only linux distributions that are over 3 years old are supported and will work nicely integrated in your windows environment. VMware Server was retired over 3 years ago. See  also: The Future of VMware Server | PlanetVM

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos