VMware Communities
Bugger
Contributor
Contributor

VMware removal tool?

Is there such a thing as a VMware removal tool?

I have uninstalled all VMware products from this XP based system, but there remain meny of the VMware devices/mappers listed in the registry.

I am trying to get the system clean without reinstalling, since I want to get my copy of workstation 4 installed and working on the beast: With a fresh install of WS4 it gives errors when to run any VM, including a newly created one.

WS4 used to run okay on this machine, but it was uninstalled some time back and replaced with the free VMware server (V1). Now I can't get V4 working again...

Manually trying to purge the associated device registry entries does not work either... (just gives a cannot delete entry message)

Any relevent insights appreciated.

B.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Have you tried running "setup /c"

0 Kudos
Bugger
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Liz, thanks for your suggestion.

I hadn't before, but just tried setup /c.

Now that I have VMware installed again, here is what I am getting when trying to start any VM:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (vmx)

ASSERT F(4414):1378 bugNr=1319

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You would need to provide a lot more info than that before I can even hazard a guess as to whats wrong. did you reboot after the setup /c? have you rebooted following the install? is it licensed? is the guest valid for the vmware product you used? is there anything in the log file? if there is, what? whats the config? whats the guest..?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

setup /c only cleans installer related data.

If you are a masochist you may try to use the search function in the knowledgebase - there is a install-cleaner tool hidden somewhere.

0 Kudos
leenux_tux
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

You could try using "regclean" (www.RegClean.com ) after removing the software. The regclean program may detect orphaned keys/entries that are assocated with the VMware Workstation 4 installation.. If it does it will give you the option to remove the orphans. It also creates an "undo" registry batch file which will enable you to put it all back if it all goes pear shaped. As with any program that works with the registry, it comes with no warranties, however, I have used it a couple of times and have not had any issues.

--Leenux_tux

0 Kudos
Firas201110142
Contributor
Contributor

Bugger,

Try this one (it worked for me), go to the setup.exe file with command prompt for example

C:\Documents and Settings\username\My document\Downloads

now you can use this command to see all options

setup.exe /?

sshot-3.png

now close the window and use following commands

setup.exe /x

after that

setup.exe /clean

and you problem is sloved Smiley Wink

Firas

0 Kudos
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--I would also recommend Crap Cleaner from personal experience.  In addition, it can remove garbage files left over from Win updates.

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
0 Kudos