VMware Communities
phaumer
Contributor
Contributor

VMware "unplugs" my network connection

I just downloaded, registered and installed VMware 6 on my Thinkpad T41p (WinXPSP2, 2GB) for the first time. I successfully created a new vmware image using all the default settings for Windows Vista, but I observed while I was installing Vista from DVD that my laptop's task bar continuously showed the message that the network cable was unplugged. It went on and off. After the install and logon to the guest OS the host's ethernet network was even in a disabled state. When I shut down VMware and reboot the laptop the network is back and works absolutely stable. As soon as I start the VMware image the host's network again reports that the network cable is unplugged in the task bar. I am quite sure that it is not a hardware problem, but that VMware somehow "kills" my ethernet connection or driver. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Peter.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
iffie01
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue. My host OS is windows XP. Did you ever figure this out?

If I reboot XP and then restart my VM the network connection will sometimes work in the VM. Eventually to get it working I've had to uninstall and reinstall VMWare (running 6.0.1).

My guest OS is XP also.

I've played around with disabling the firewall on both the Host and in the VM and it's had no effect.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Vista and XP hosts are completely different stories - better open a new post

0 Kudos
iffie01
Contributor
Contributor

I'd read his message that his host was XP (like mine) and his guest OS was Vista, not vice versa.

In any case I've "fixed" my issue. In the Virtual Network Editor (Edit / Virtual Network Settings), under the Host Virual Network Mapping settings, I change VMnet0 from "Bridged to an automatically chosen adapter" to my nic card directly. I think I must have some sort of rogue adapter on my machine that VM was picking up first.

I could occasionally get the networking to work corrctly but I had to start VM immediatly after rebooting and logging in. So I think this rogue controller must start up after my nic card. But for whatever reason when it's running VM attaches to it first.

0 Kudos