VMware Communities
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor

VMware pro with security onion - so-status slow to start

Hi, I have sent this post to security onion, but I thought I would also try it here in case this sparks interest?

For the past 2 months SO VMs have started as usual bringing everything to OK status. But for the past 6 days its take a long time (5 to 10  minutes or so) to bring all services to an OK status.

Also, if i leave the VM process for a few minutes, the cursor disappears and the process just sits there or I get this type of message :

so status 0.png

This means that I have to run  sudo so-status every 15 - 20 seconds, and sometimes I get all OK's and I can get into my SOC.

I restarted my laptop and power on my VM, it seemed to go a little faster. When the problem happened again, I restarted my laptop and it still took to long to get my OK’s.

I stopped my anti virus process, still no change.

I reinstalled VMware, still no change.

Once I changed the memory from 16 to 32 GB, this seem to help, but I don’t think this is a good idea going forward.

I created another VM with the same ISO, still no change.

Not sure what to try next?

Thanks for your advice and suggestions

0 Kudos
1 Reply
iqworks
Contributor
Contributor

It seemed like a paging issue. I called my virus protection people. They finally looked at my paging. They made these changes :

1 – go to settings and enter performance in the search.

2 – select adjust the appearance and performance of windows.

3 – select advanced and select change.

4 – now I changed my paging from initial size 12288 to intial size 6946. The Max size stays at 24576.

5 – I then loaded my usual daily windows files and ran my SO VM. it ran quicker and I left it for a while and no errors, just needed to do ctrl to get the cursor back. Looks like the problem is fixed, for now.

0 Kudos