VMware Communities
KnowBody62
Contributor
Contributor

VMware on 32 & 64 bit processors

Sorry if this is the wong forrum to post this in, or if the question has been asked before. I'm just now figuring out the VMware posting scheme...... and have not yet found the "search old postings" button.

I am thinking of buying a new laptop. It will have Vista Home 64 bit (unfortunately) and 4GB memory. If I use VMware to load XP 32 bit, will this work? Do you think I would be better off blowing away the Vista completely and loading XP pro? I have licenses for all of the above. My concern about blowing it away in favor of XP Pro is that the laptop will have a Blue-Ray player. Does XP support that does anyone know? That is the only reason I'm considering keeping Vista on the laptop.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I have researched it on Google etc., and have not found a good answer.

I thank you very greatly for any and all help you may be able to provide.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the VMware Community forums. Are you looking at using VMware Workstation?

0 Kudos
KnowBody62
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am looking at VMware Workstation.

I should have explained better before. I teach classes where I have to demo software that requires XP 32bit OS. So I have to have that running somewhere on the system.

If XP will support the Blue-Ray drive, I'll just format and load XP 32. If not, then I'm looking for suggestions. Can you run both a 64bit OS and 32bit OS simultaneously?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VMware Workstation forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos
KnowBody62
Contributor
Contributor

OK... but can you tell me how to find that please? When I go to "All Communities", VMware Workstation is not one of them.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Go here -http://communities.vmware.com/index.jspa- and then click on Edit My Communities.

0 Kudos