VMware Communities
hmyousef
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware mouse not functioning

I recently started using Workstation 6, I have an HP nx7300 laptop on which I run Vista Ultimate as a host, and I am running XP as a guest vm. After the guest came up the first time, I installed VMware tools, which includes a mouse driver. After the reboot, the XP guest came up with no mouse functionality. I had to navigate using keyboard, go back in device manager, and revert back to native mouse driver. The funny thing is, I still have the VMware mouse cursor flow function between guest and host. I also noticed that is full screen view, the mouse cursor does not like to go up to the top of the screen, also when it gets close to the minimize/restore bar, two cursors appears, and the clicking functionality goes totally crazy. Has anyone seen or experienced anything like this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cogumel0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can totally disable the mouse automatically passing from the VM to the host when you reach the borders of the VM window.

Just go to Edit > Preferences > Input and change the "Ungrab when cursor leaves window" and "grab when cursor enters window".

In answer to your specific question: I haven't had the problem you are describing with the tools, but I have experienced the mouse not really wanting to go where I want it to just like Liz described.

cogumel0

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Ive seen the 2 cursors at the top, but not the problems as you describe, I guess because Im able to use the vmmouse drivers.

I have occasionally had issues in getting my mouse to the top of the screen like someones built a wall and it wont go higher, but a quick waggles always sorted that

cogumel0
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can totally disable the mouse automatically passing from the VM to the host when you reach the borders of the VM window.

Just go to Edit > Preferences > Input and change the "Ungrab when cursor leaves window" and "grab when cursor enters window".

In answer to your specific question: I haven't had the problem you are describing with the tools, but I have experienced the mouse not really wanting to go where I want it to just like Liz described.

cogumel0

0 Kudos
hmyousef
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone, I will try that. And yes, it feels like someone built a wall around the top of the screen.

0 Kudos
Temeraire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem as the original issue - using Workstation 6 with WinXP as the host, and WinXP as the guest. Before installing VMware tools, the mouse input is grabbed and released successfully when it enters and leaves the host window. Once VMware tools is installed, the mouse input is no longer grabbed.

Changing the grab setting in preferences does not solve the problem.

Removing the VMware mouse driver does resolve the problem but does leave the mouse input frustratingly trapped within the host window.

0 Kudos
MaxXam0
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have the repeatedly described problem with two mouse cursors in full screen mode with the latest Workstation 6. Host system: WinXP, Guest system: Ubuntu (from jars, I installed the newest VMware tools myself).

I found out that you can overcome the "wall" by going to the opposite side of the screen. It works like a kind of "reset" this way. Touch all 4 boarders of the screen and you can continue to work for a while. Looks like a kind of "offset" problem when the mouse leave the guest screen and enters the "VMtool bar". It gets better when you unpin the screen.

Maybe this helps you guys from VM to figure out the origin of this problem.

Bytheway: great stuff and great work the new VMware Workstation 6!!!

Thanks

Max

0 Kudos
dcell59
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is still happening. Is anyone at VMWare looking at this problem? I'd like to use VMWare more than I do now, but this problem can really make it annoying to work with in full screen.

0 Kudos
maloy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running VMWare 6.0 on Vista, with Ubuntu 4.1.2-16 and kernel 2.6.22.14 (palmer) installed.

Both the "two-cursor" problem and "the wall" problem happens to me all the time when I run in full-screen mode, both on my current machine and on the previous one I had. My current machine is

an HP nc6400 with Windows Vista Enterprise, 32 bit, my previous one an HP Pavillon, with Windows Vista Private Edition.

This problem is so common that I cannot believe that VMWare has not encountered it, but they don't seem to be doing anything about it.

As a professional user, I am really frustrated by this, and am actually considering leaving VMWare only for this reason.

0 Kudos
lgerber
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has anyone solved this yet? I will be running this on top of Vista so maybe the 3 check box solution will work but right now I am evaluating this on a XP 32 bit machine and the wall thing is really irritating. I'm hoping that someone has solved this and "forgot" to return and say what they've done. Thanx...

Leon

0 Kudos
jeffjamison
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We experience the "wall" mouse offset thing too. It happens on all of our Vista host / Ubuntu guest machines. It has been a problem for us since the release of version 6. Apparently, it's not too high on their list, but it's kept me from buying Workstation for our entire development department.

0 Kudos
netskink
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm. I see this problem as well. I just posted a question about it prior to seeing this discussion. I am surprised that this error has been around since September 2007. Note, I do not see this error on a other laptop running the same two OS's. I'm wondering if it is specific to my T61P. My T40 works fine.

0 Kudos
A13xxx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I thought i was going crazy but now i see others with exact same issues, i was running the latest vmware workstation 6 but i upgraded to the 6.5 beta in hope it would fix this issue and the issue is still present. I am using a winxp 64bit host and several different flavours of guests and see it in them all, what i have also noticed in microsoft windows when using two or three monitors if you are selecting or holding down the mouse button for longer than a second it will lose grab on any monitor apart from the primary. It cant be a mouse driver issue can it if my mouse is fine on one screen but not the other two, apart from that this annoying wall really ticks me off.

0 Kudos
eskilmoe
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue. VMware workstation 6.5.3 on my laptop. I had a Logitech wireless mouse attached to my laptop. when i unplugged my mouse. it was ok.... When i put it back inn. the problem came back

0 Kudos