VMware Communities
permka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware installation, 64bit

Hi all,

I have installed the 30-day trial version of VMware in order to evaluate the possibility to have Linux as guest OS, in a Vista 64-bit PC.

Everything works as it is supposed to be but then I tried to install Win 7 64 bit in order to see what the new version of Windows has to offer.

Then I got an error message saying that my processor is incompatible with 64-bit which led me to find out that VMware was installed in the 32bit Program Files folder and not the 64 bit.

I would like to ask you the following:

1. The file I downloaded is the VMware-workstation-6.5.1-126130.exe. It was my understanding that it is 32 and 64 bit compatible. Am I right? And in order to install it do I have to do something different other than manually define the 64-bit Program Files folder as the place of installation?

2. The VMachine that I have already created, should I delete it and reinstall the OS or it will be functionnal as it is when I install VMware as 64bit?

Many tnx!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I have installed the 30-day trial version of VMware in order to evaluate the possibility to have Linux as guest OS, in a Vista 64-bit PC.

Everything works as it is supposed to be but then I tried to install Win 7 64 bit in order to see what the new version of Windows has to offer.

Then I got an error message saying that my processor is incompatible with 64-bit which led me to find out that VMware was installed in the 32bit Program Files folder and not the 64 bit.

1. The file I downloaded is the VMware-workstation-6.5.1-126130.exe. It was my understanding that it is 32 and 64 bit compatible. Am I right? And in order to install it do I have to do something different other than manually define the 64-bit Program Files folder as the place of installation?

2. The VMachine that I have already created, should I delete it and reinstall the OS or it will be functionnal as it is when I install VMware as 64bit?

Many tnx!!

1. Workstation was installed in the 32-bit folder, as most of the software is written as a 32-bit process (the UI, most of the modules, etc.). On a 64-bit host OS, the device drivers, virtual machine monitor, and system services ARE 64-bit (otherwise they wouldn't work).

2. The ability to run 64-bit guests has NOTHING to do with what your host's Operating System is. ONLY the hardware features. Refer to knowledgebase article 1901 for details on host hardware requirements for running 64-bit guests.

3. Any VMs you have created are simply files to your host (or any other you take them to)... similar to a Word document.

Robert

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi all,

Many tnx!!

1. Workstation was installed in the 32-bit folder, as most of the software is written as a 32-bit process (the UI, most of the modules, etc.). On a 64-bit host OS, the device drivers, virtual machine monitor, and system services ARE 64-bit (otherwise they wouldn't work).

2. The ability to run 64-bit guests has NOTHING to do with what your host's Operating System is. ONLY the hardware features. Refer to knowledgebase article 1901 for details on host hardware requirements for running 64-bit guests.

3. Any VMs you have created are simply files to your host (or any other you take them to)... similar to a Word document.

Robert

0 Kudos
permka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see! Many tbx!

I will try to see if my BIOS supports and report back.

0 Kudos
permka
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I activated VT from BIOS and all is good now. Tnx!

0 Kudos