VMware Communities
AndriZ
Contributor
Contributor

VMware guest flickering

Hi.

I have Windows 10 host and linux guest VMs. With latest nvidia drivers (starting with 461, maybe even 460) the guest VM's flicker time from time, apparently based on gpu activity. This is noticeable when I have VM in background while using another application in foreground (for example MS teams).

I'm wondering if anyone else have experienced similar issue.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Couple of suggestions:
- make sure that Windows updates is up to date (there's a vmware graphics driver update via windows update that might help)

- there's an option where you can set the light/dark theme of the guest OS depending on the host OS theme choice. Instead of choosing option "auto", use dark or light depending on your preference.

- try disabling 3D acceleration in the VM configuration

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AndriZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

Disabling 3D acceleration seems have helped. Any ideas of possible 2D (application GUI) performance impact? Feels about the same to me.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

With the most common business applications you won't see much of a difference.
Only with things that depend more on GPU capabilities, like animations & video playing etc.. you will see a difference.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
AndriZ
Contributor
Contributor

Great, that perfectly fine for me. Thanks again!

0 Kudos