VMware Communities
NolanZinn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMware folder in Ubuntu VM larger than VM disk size

I have a folder in my Ubuntu VM that I am trying to copy to another folder in the VM.  When I try to copy it, however, it tells me there is not enough space.  It claims that the folder is ~600 GB, while the virtual disk for the VM is only 400 GB.  How could this be possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How are you trying to copy the files?

In case some of the files are indeed sparse files, the cp command should detect this, i.e. not inflate the file?

You may run ls -lisa from the command line to see how the file sizes look like? The second column shows the used disk space in kB, whereas the column left to the time stamp shows the provisioned size.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What kind of files are in the folder, i.e. are there any sparse files in it?

André

0 Kudos
NolanZinn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm not sure what sparse files are...  The folder contains the source code and built images for Yocto Linux.  I'm copying it because I'm trying out a ubuntu integration with Yocto, and I don't want to mess up my original build.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How are you trying to copy the files?

In case some of the files are indeed sparse files, the cp command should detect this, i.e. not inflate the file?

You may run ls -lisa from the command line to see how the file sizes look like? The second column shows the used disk space in kB, whereas the column left to the time stamp shows the provisioned size.

André

0 Kudos
NolanZinn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You were right, using cp fixed the problem.  I was trying to do it from nautilus.

0 Kudos